Is this GI Stasis? Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I put down a doe today that had been dropping weight fast. She's been super fusy over her feed lately and barely nibbling any hay. I thought it could have been a tooth problem like her mother, bad molars, but then I saw this when I opened her.
So Stasis? I had a few others not happy with that bag of feed, but they would at least take hay.

Attachments

• 20230131_162923.jpg
    20230131_162923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230131_163027.jpg
    20230131_163027.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I put down a doe today that had been dropping weight fast. She's been super fusy over her feed lately and barely nibbling any hay. I thought it could have been a tooth problem like her mother, bad molars, but then I saw this when I opened her.
So Stasis? I had a few others not happy with that bag of feed, but they would at least take hay.
That actually looks like what I've seen in images of megacolon (which kind of mimics GI stasis, since the waste doesn't move through the intestines properly). The evidence of "regular" GI stasis I've seen has been more like a long string of normal-to-small very hard poops stuck in the intestine (though I haven't seen it very often...fortunately).
How old was the doe, and what color was she? Had she ever had bouts of strangely-shaped or variably-sized poo before? Do you have issues with stasis often in your herd?

UPDATE - Here is an image reflecting what I've personally observed regarding GI stasis:
7db978f9aa0730eb697c81771a3aaf08-1822552219.jpg
image credit Babbities

And here are some images that reflect what I've seen and heard regarding megacolon:
magichappensrescue.com Megacolon.jpg
image from magichappensrescue.com

Megacolon longislandrabbitrescue.org.jpg
top row is normal 4-5lb rabbit; 2nd-4th row are three different 4-5lb rabbits with megacolon; image credit longislandrabbitrescue.org

Last edited:
That actually looks like what I've seen in images of megacolon (which kind of mimics GI stasis, since the waste doesn't move through the intestines properly). The evidence of "regular" GI stasis I've seen has been more like a long string of normal-to-small very hard poops stuck in the intestine (though I haven't seen it very often...fortunately).
How old was the doe, and what color was she? Had she ever had bouts of strangely-shaped or variably-sized poo before? Do you have issues with stasis often in your herd?

UPDATE - Here is an image reflecting what I've personally observed regarding GI stasis:
View attachment 34102
image credit Babbities

And here are some images that reflect what I've seen and heard regarding megacolon:
View attachment 34099
image from magichappensrescue.com

View attachment 34100
top row is normal 4-5lb rabbit; 2nd-4th row are three different 4-5lb rabbits with megacolon; image credit longislandrabbitrescue.org
She was a 10 month black tort. Siblings are in the 6-9 lb+ range, she was the runt and was 5ish lbs. The distended bit of colon was all gas and fluid. From your pictures it Def looks like stasis.
I would have given her a bit more time to work it out but she started "pausing" when handled and we had this lovely polar vortex going on. And I didn't want to risk her freezing to death.

Back