• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Is this a good deal? Will cages be to small?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opinions on cage sizes vary. I personally feel those cages are too small for 8-12 pound rabbits, unless the rabbits have access sometimes to an exercise pen. Some people will use 24" x 24" inch as individual grow out cages for promising youngsters or as housing for bucks (many of whom are lazy slugs anyway) and I can see that working... but for breeding does I think you would be happier with something larger. Just my feelings on the subject. You might want to snag a few in any case as isolation and emergency housing, even if you decide to go for something larger.

I believe the ratio is something like 2/3-3/4 Ft2/ per pound, so a 6 pound rabbit needs 4-5 ft2, or at least a 2'x2' cage, so no, too small, by that standard<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:26 pm __________<br /><br />BUY the cages, you will have smaller rabbits, bucks that are growing out, and if you need the cages, sorry, too small, but they work until you can get a better set up

SECOND
he is asking about half retail on described new and near new equipment, sorry the the only cheap way to get stuff in this business is to swoop on someone getting out and selling for a loss, and the better the stuff, the faster it goes.

I completely agree with Maggie, for an 8-12lb. bun a 24x24 is a very small space unless the bun will also have an exercise pen area.
With that being said... what a great price on those cages! Would be wonderful for smaller buns.

2 x 2 cages work for holding cages, but not for permanent living. excellent for raising up juniors, or for holding weaned kits.

I've used them to hold does for a 2-4 weeks between weaning off kits and moving into bigger housing that happens to be in use by another doe on kits.

Oh boy, I wish they were a little farther south (that is if you weren't getting them all) :D
I really need to get more cages, and water bowls. :?
If only I had a couple hundred $ to spend on rabbits. :roll:

Lets see, if I just ask for rabbit cages for my birthday hmmmm....

I agree with what the others have said- it is a good price and you will surely use them for youngsters, etc., but I wouldn't personally want to keep a 8-12lb adult rabbit in a 24 X 24.

Best of luck!

Lauren

Can' t get them.:( she sold most already and remainder not worth 3.5 hr drive.

But, i will keep eye out for more now I know they will work for grow out.

Latest posts

Back