Is this a charlie orange? plus, a couple other questions...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions....

If this is a doe, we are going to get her.... but was trying to find info on showing and how much color, but can't find anything consistent in what is accepted....

maybenewbunny--5-5-11.jpg

Also, out of these two... Which would you put as the best quality?(I know, not really a very good pic of them) I like the blue vs the lilac, seems to have a nice head and smaller ears... Going to see them in person on the 21st...

Blue-LilacSilverMarten.jpg

And, one last question... This is Benjamin... Is he considered a Vienna Marked?(What I was told by another breeder) or he is something else? (mismarked orange? Broken? etc)He is only 14 weeks and just starting to 'bulk' up(to me he looks like he is turning into a jack rabbit but I know he will come out of it... he has already started filling out since these pics were taken)... but I am just trying to find out if he is a showable color?? I was told yes, and then later told no by someone else.. since I haven't shown yet, I figured I would ask on here....

Benjamin5-8-11.jpg

Benjamin25-8-11.jpg

MakaylahHoldingOrange2-1.jpg

Well, the orange guy has a snip of white on his head I think, that would be the "vienna marked" part. His weird looking stripey orange is just the way orange sometimes comes in. It will get darker and the "stripes" will fade, I know that much. My SOP for ND's says colored varieties may not have white spots or white hairs so he isn't showable because of that, but he carries the gene for BEW, so you may want him for that reason.

He isn't going anywhere anyway... he is my total little baby... He is my snuggle bun... Just love him! :)

Nice to know he isn't showable, but my oldest daughter has been drooling over BEW over the last few days... Is there something specific he has to be bred with(color wise) to produce a BEW?

The top bunny was destined to be his 'girlfriend' if it turns out to be a doe.

A charlie (which that doe could be but you can't be sure) or minimally marked broken is unshowable because they have less than 10% color. Usually some body spots are required to make the 10% minimum color. If they have good patterning behind them they can be useful for breeding to solids since you will get 100% brokens but if they have lots of minimally marked rabbits in their background you could just have a regular broken with too little color which will produce more poorly marked brokens.

If that orange has white hairs on it's forehead it would be probably be DQ. The white hairs could just be stray white hairs rather than VM. It happens all the time. Does he have any BEW in his pedigree? To get BEW you need to breed 2 rabbits carrying the gene but not all rabbits end up vienna marked when they carry the gene so you can't know for sure unless the pedigree says one of the parents is a BEW or you find another VM or BEW to breed to.

He has broken orange, chocolate Himalayan, Chestnut and lilac in the pedigree...

So the charlie one might be worth trying to breed once and see what she produces... We MIGHT not get her, it depends on what the rest of the litter looks like... Hoping to see them all this coming week...

He is :D I absolutely love him... He is my parrot and loves to hang on my shoulders when I am on the couch... He definitely has a personality that I want all my buns to have...

A spot that small might molt out with the baby coat.the orange and white broken looks too lite too show.but i need too see the back.animals with a lot of color on there nose and ears and only a stripe on the back are showable.<br /><br />__________ Thu May 12, 2011 10:11 pm __________<br /><br />I have some light marked animals which are still showable.i could send pictures.

To determine whether a rabbit has enough colour to show is pretty easy. They need a minimum of 10% colour on their bodies the head does not count. But their needs to be colour on the nose or whisker bed.

Here is what you do trace the hind foot and then on another sheet of paper trace the markings, cut the markings out and then arrange them in the tracing of the foot if they completely cover the foot then it's showable.

I won't be picking one of them out for another 2-4 weeks....

Here is two more pics of the same rabbit... She does have some color on her back.... They were two weeks old in these pics....

bunnies-4-29-11.jpg

bunnies4-29-11.jpg

Back