Is this a botfly gone infected?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamalana

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I caught this ferral meat rabbit and one of its ears was floppy. I lifted his ear and found a hole and it looked like a botfly was breathing through the hole. So, having experience with botflies from our farm in Costa Rica, I put vasciline on it to suffocate it. However, today I went to get the botfly out and it looks infected. Any suggestionson what to do would be really appreciated. Here is a picture of the wound.

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_143857_272.jpg
    IMG_20230624_143857_272.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi y'all. I caught this ferral meat rabbit and one of its ears was floppy. I lifted his ear and found a hole and it looked like a botfly was breathing through the hole. So, having experience with botflies from our farm in Costa Rica, I put vasciline on it to suffocate it. However, today I went to get the botfly out and it looks infected. Any suggestionson what to do would be really appreciated. Here is a picture of the wound.
Poor bunny!

When I have dealt with abscesses in my rabbits, cleaning out the wound and treating it with raw honey and/or Neosporin (not Neosporin Plus, just plain Neosporin) has always worked. Be sure to clean it very thoroughly - be pretty aggressive about scooping out every bit of stuff in there, even if you have to open up the wound a bit more, or the infection will be likely to come back. Neither raw honey nor neosporin will hurt the rabbit when he ingests it, and he will, as he cleans the wound. You'll need to reapply whatever oitment you use 1-2 times a day because of this. I don't usually bother with bandaging/covering the wound, because I've never had a rabbit that was unable to get the bandage off within minutes.

I'd also keep the rabbit in a scrupulously clean environment because he will be using his feet and nails to clean/groom the wound area.

Poor bunny!

When I have dealt with abscesses in my rabbits, cleaning out the wound and treating it with raw honey and/or Neosporin (not Neosporin Plus, just plain Neosporin) has always worked. Be sure to clean it very thoroughly - be pretty aggressive about scooping out every bit of stuff in there, even if you have to open up the wound a bit more, or the infection will be likely to come back. Neither raw honey nor neosporin will hurt the rabbit when he ingests it, and he will, as he cleans the wound. You'll need to reapply whatever oitment you use 1-2 times a day because of this. I don't usually bother with bandaging/covering the wound, because I've never had a rabbit that was unable to get the bandage off within minutes.

I'd also keep the rabbit in a scrupulously clean environment because he will be using his feet and nails to clean/groom the wound area.
That's genius! Another option is an online vet. I've had great success with that. It's very inexpensive and they can call in prescriptions for you.

Yes squeeze or push down and hopefully the infection should come right out. I was thinking Blu Kote spray to treat it with; however, I have never used that on a rabbit and don't know how they handle iodine. I wouldn't give my rabbit drugs if I could keep from it. Doesn't look all that bad to me really.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been treating it and it isn't looking worse. I think I killed the botfly and then he pulled it out while grooming because I haven't seen it in there when I flush it out. Poor guy, he is so terrified whenever I treat it. I have been using hydrogen perodixide and essential oils. Today, I'm going to use honey from my bees.

Thanks. The oil I used is a blend called MendWell made for animals. We have a lot going on; 48 chickens, 45 fruit trees, 4 meat rabbits, 5 goats, 6 quail, 2 beehives, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 5 children (lol).
Hi, I use the YL animal scents Infect Away, Mendwell, then their salve. Awesome stuff and pretty powerful. While I've never used it on a rabbit....yet...I did put Infect Away and the salve on a chicken the other day who had torn open her skin. She was better the next day. After using it I went to the rabbit cage and my doe nipped me. She didn't like the smell of it on my hand. She's pregnant and could go anytime now. Happy 4th of July.

Latest posts

Back