Is there definitive dosage recommendations for Ivermectin?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MnCanary

Reaction score
Here and on other rabbit forums, people throw around the word "ivermectin" pretty loosely. There are several different formulations (oral, injectable) and intended uses (cattle, pigs, sheep etc). All these different products can't all have the same dosage for rabbits, can they? (I know we're using ivermectin off label.) I wouldn't imagine that everyone is just guessing, but to read the posts that might be the case. I'm nervous that someone 20 years ago wrote directions for ivermectin and that advice has been re-written a thousand times without real knowledge.

Does anyone have the definitive dosage recommendation for the different ivermectin formulations?

Topic just came up in a ytclip :

That's interesting about the subject of separation of paste ingredients. All the ivermectin I've ever used has been the paste; I've not used it a lot, but over the years it has been helpful when nothing else worked. It's always done the job I needed, and I've never had a rabbit have any problems with it. It does make some sense, though, so I may shift to pour-on or injectable if I need it in the future.

Topic just came up in a ytclip :
That was very useful, thanks. I am still leery of the statement that the dosage using injectable (.01 ml per lb of rabbit) is the same as the dosage using pour-on.

Injectable ivermectin is a 1% solution. Pour-on ivermetin is 5 mg per ml, straight from the container. I do not know enough chemistry to know if the two types are identical. Does anyone know how to do that math?

Thanks!

This is what I found googling:

How do you convert percent solution to mg ml?

To do this easily, simply add a zero to the percentage (i.e., 20% solution has 200 mg/mL, a 10% solution has 100 mg/mL and so on).

So the Injectable would be 10 mg/ml if I am reading that correctly.

I second what Alaska Satin said about the paste. I will not buy more but I will use up what I have as it has worked for me. Now I might squeeze it all out into a glass container to see if there is separation going on. I just bought a couple tubes being concerned about availability but i will work on getting some of the injectable. But it does look like you would need half as much injectable as pour on.

How do you convert percent solution to mg ml?

To do this easily, simply add a zero to the percentage (i.e., 20% solution has 200 mg/mL, a 10% solution has 100 mg/mL and so on).

So the Injectable would be 10 mg/ml if I am reading that correctly.
Thanks for that math help! Or, maybe this is arithmetic, I'm not even sure of that.

So, the injectable 1% solution would be 10 mg / ml. And the pour-on is 5 mg / ml. So using these materials straight from the bottle would mean that using pour-on would be 1/2 the strength of using injectable.

If this is all correct, then the myriad of comments that the two forms are interchangeable are incorrect.

Thanks for that math help! Or, maybe this is arithmetic, I'm not even sure of that.

So, the injectable 1% solution would be 10 mg / ml. And the pour-on is 5 mg / ml. So using these materials straight from the bottle would mean that using pour-on would be 1/2 the strength of using injectable.

If this is all correct, then the myriad of comments that the two forms are interchangeable are incorrect.
That is what it looks like to me. Now I am pretty good with math but not expert. I did look at a number of explanations and they all seemed to say the same thing. Certainly if someone sees it differently, weigh in. If I remember I will ask hubby later - he is better at math than me.

It just goes to show that no matter how much you know or how hard you have looked at it, you can still make a mistake.

Latest posts

Back