Is one fall off enough?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert

Reaction score
Finally (after 2 weeks of trying) we got a fall off today. Our buck Cheddar always does the same thing after a 'result'. Squeak, fall off, and then a quick thump with his hind leg. So we know it was a goal.

We're going to take her back to him later today to see if he can definitely seal the deal. But will one fall off cover it?

Also from what we've read today is it and we have to wait for 31 days to see if she's in kit before trying to breed her again?

Thanks

Last edited:
Finally (after 2 weeks of trying) we got a fall off today. Our buck Cheddar always does the same thing after a 'result'. Squeak, fall off, and then a quick thump with his hind leg. So we know it was a goal.

We're going to take her back to him later today to see if he can definitely seal the deal. But will one fall off cover it?

Also from what we've read today is it and we have to wait for 31 days to see if she's in kit before trying to breed her again?

Thanks
That is great! It's funny, too- I just got one of two does bred yesterday. :)

Other breeders do have successful litters with only one fall-off; I know I have had good litters with two. I usually try to have them have at least three- if not more- both times of day, mostly since my bucks are not breeding frequently.

Here is a way to try to tell if a doe is pregnant from Bob Bennett's book, Raising Rabbits the Modern Way: "There are a couple of ways of telling, and one is more certain than the other. First, however, I would weigh the doe at mating time, and record the poundage. Later, if she has gained a significant amount on the same feed that previously had maintained her at a given figure, she probably is pregnant. If, for example, she weighs an additional pound in two weeks (for the medium weight breeds), she probably is pregnant. But you really can't be sure." He goes on to tell about test breeding, but I don't know if many breeders do that anymore. I have noticed, though, that if I have a bred doe in the cage next to one where there is breeding going on, they often grunt and run around upset about it. They have always been pregnant when they do that.

I have found that there is more often around a 1/2 pound weight gain at two weeks if pregnant. It isn't always fool-proof; if a doe is still actively growing it could be a full pound of growth and if she is done growing and just getting fat during those two weeks that could account for the weight. But it can be an indicator.

My Cals always had a litter in the box the morning of the 31st day. My Rex mostly have them on the afternoon of the 32nd day, or if it is a large litter (10-13 kits), on the afternoon of the 30th. Occasionally they will have them at night on the 31st day. It's interesting how much it can vary!

Last edited:
Sometimes one fall off is enough, sometimes it's not. Once I bred a pair and the Buck had nine fall offs but no kits. A few times after that, he fell off once and had one kit

One fall off is enough to get the job done. Generally, we'll watch for at least one fall off and then leave them together for a day or two after. The ones here are English angora, so they don't fight between the genders. A pair of bucks may grumble at each other, but a buck and doe will pretty much always get along so leaving them together is the SOP here after one fall off.

one was enough for one of our does 11 kits , we even had one that had lots of attempts no fall off that had a surprising 11 kits as well. ideal no but yes one can be enough.

Back