Is nesting behavior consistent in individual Does?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I have been noting nesting behavior down on my white board to track my does' behavior, in hopes of better predicting litter arrivals in the future. In your experience, after the first kindling, which is a learning experience for the doe (in my opinion), do you notice they settle into a predictable routine?

My breeder advised me that her does always kindle on the 30th day, and I have 3 bred does that are due Sunday (day 30). I had them all scheduled for nests on the 28th day.

Poppy has had prior litters, and her behavior this time is as follows:

Day 25: isolated hay mustache. Gave nest.
Day 26: rest
Day 27: frantically gather hay and build nest
Day 28: rest
Day 29: to be seen...

Mysterious:

Day 26: gave nest "just in case". Much digging and tearing at nest.
Day 28: hay gathering/building, minimal fur pulling

Evil Blue:

Day 26: gave nest "just in case". Much digging and tearing at nest.

I woke up at 3:10 this morning, and took a stroll out to the BunnyBarn to see what was up- nothing going on at that point, but the moon and stars were lovely. Went back to bed. Up at 6:30, checked again, still nothing.

Poppy has never been one to shred the cardboard in her nest, while Feather always has. Seeing the box-tearing behavior in Blue and Mysterious, who hadn't had hay mustaches prior to getting their nests, makes me wonder if the shredding occurs when a box is introduced too early. Earlier in the year I wasn't feeding hay, so have no prior data from Poppy and Feather on hay gathering.

I'd go with what your breeder said because she knows her lines and it's good you are putting the nestboxes in early, but I've had does kindle on day 30th before and then the next time go on day 32, then back to 31. Same doe might not make a nest until right before the litter is about to be delivered and next time be nesting frantically 48 hours before. Others have been like clockwork each time, but I think part of it depends on the nature of the doe, how easily stressed they are, their hormones, etc. You might be able to track some of yours that way possibly, but just like with humans I am not sure they will ever be all that predictable, at least in my experience. :)

Best of luck,

Lauren

My does tend to be consistent and I notice that they all kindle on day 31, except for Miss Kitty who waits until day 32. I don't usually have to wait to give them nest boxes. Most of my does are already carrying straw by a week 5-7 days before they are "due" so that's my clue to put the box in, MY FAVORITE!

I have had one or two first timers who have not done early nest building but other than that, they all seem to be "early nesters" and if I have to wait until day 28 to give a nest box, it's usually my clue that THEY AREN"T BRED :(

I have also had several 1st timers who wanted to make BEAUTIFUL nests between the nest box and the cage wall.

I let them. Then I move it into the box and move the box to where they had the nest. This has worked in all but one case, in which instance the doe insisted on having the kits OUT of the nest box & I was able to salvage one of the kits and foster it to another doe & re-breed the doe who proceeded to have her next litters in a very nicely made up nest box and turned out to be a good mommie.

Attachments

• DSCN0975.JPG
    DSCN0975.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 612
Thanks, Lauren! I realize there will always be variables (I gave birth 3 times myself, and it was different every time!), but I thought it would be a fun experiment and might provide some useful results, at least with some does. I might not have to wander around in the wee hours checking for kits on the wire, either!

Caroline,

maybe consistency is another wonderful Rex trait! :p I haven't had any that tried to build other in the nest, but I only now have my first generation of does old enough to breed- so I only have 2 does to go on. On another note, people comment on having to clean the nestboxes, and I've never had the need to do so- my does don't soil their nests. Now that I've put that out there, no doubt I'll have dirty nests! Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it! ;)

I'm glad you asked. I was wondering the same thing. I got Scream bred, I believe this was her 3 or 4th litter, so I had no idea what she's be like. She kindled on day 33. I put the nest box in say 29, and she got right to work. She was sitting in the box on day 30, but didn't pull fur until the morning she kindled. I waited for Heart, because I couldn't tell she was pregnant. Monday when I came home she had a wad of twin in her mouth, must have gotten that from off the hay bale. I put a nest box in and she dumped it repeatedly, and build a nest right next to the door. She was still dumping the box as late as Weds. morning, but I weighted it down with a brick, and Thursday when I got home she had pulled fur, and they were all in the nest. I will track what she does the next litter.

Well I have had does that make a nest at about day 21 ? then again I have does make a nest day 29 ? as for fur pulling, yep about the same mix as the nest building - infact my does seem to need the spuring on of labour to induce decent fur pulling.

__________ 15 Jan 2012, 04:39 __________

But then I have fad four kids too and I can relate to the hair pulling out thingy lol<br /><br />__________ 15 Jan 2012, 04:39 __________<br /><br />*had :|

It will be interesting to see if there is a difference between breeds. So far we have 3 Rex herds to monitor, I don't know what breeds Lauren has... there are a lot of Cal breeders (Ahem... Sistah? Get with the program here.), so hopefully those with the "Less than Rex" breeds :twisted: will chime in shortly.

Consider the gauntlet to be thrown! :lol:

Latest posts

Back