Is my Doe's behavior indicating a pregnancy?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
Some of you have ready read my post about my rabbits mating, and my thoughts that it didn't look like they had done the job right (she wasn't lifting well and he never had a dramatic fall off). It's been about 11 days since they have been together, and she is now a lot less grouchy than usual. She usually gets territorial when we open her cage and will growl, lunge, bite, and hope around sometimes. Now she just kind of hangs out and actually seems more loving, and calmer. I did just move her to a new cage this past weekend. I felt under her today and it seemed like her teats were protruding more than normal. A couple of nice people on this board said that since every time I put her with my buck they now have no interest in mating, that she is likley pregnant. I am operating under this assumption mostly because I would rather be over prepared than under prepared. This is my first time with a possibly pregnant doe and I know they are all different, but I wonder if anyone else has a Doe that pregnancy actually made more mellow or if she just really likes her new cage that is up off the ground better:)

I noticed that our doe, who was friendly to start with, did become more affectionate after she became pregnant.
It's certainly safer to assume that she likely is pregnant and make appropriate preparations. She's only 11 days in though, right? So it's a little early for her to be exhibiting symptoms (I would think) unless it's a false pregnancy, also common when they think they MIGHT have been bred. You will know if she starts trying to build a nest in the next week or so. I understand that a false pregnancy usually presents itself about 2 weeks after they think they've been bred.

One of my does the F.G. loves to be a mom and starts to prep in the first or second week..she is always a love though. She will start to scatter hay,rip up her cardboard ,eat like there is no tomorrow..dig in the corners, ya know pregnant type stuff...Never had a false pregnancy out of her.. :D
A couple of years ago I had a Californian who had a false pregnancy though...She even swelled up. The only nesting behavior was three weeks in then she built a nest, no fur, no babies ether... So at least in my experience, I won't call it a false until day 35.... ;)

Yes I wondered about false pregnancy, well I suppose there isn't much to do but wait and see. And enjoy that mellow behavior for as long as it lasts! I am hoping to get her bred really soon, shes already a year and 3 months old so I really need for her to start practicing being a momma before it's too late:(

I have not been able to learn proper palpitation, but there are some great videos on YouTube...from what the members here say you should be able to feed grape size embryos by this point. It may be to your advantage to watch some videos and give it a shot. At least it will make you feel proactive..

macksmom98":3r2ei8o4 said:
Yes I wondered about false pregnancy, well I suppose there isn't much to do but wait and see. And enjoy that mellow behavior for as long as it lasts! I am hoping to get her bred really soon, shes already a year and 3 months old so I really need for her to start practicing being a momma before it's too late:(

I've had two different stories on our doe. The lady who delivered her to us (the mom of the gal who actually raised our doe), told me that River had a few litters, but they removed her from the breeding program when she lost two of them in a row. The daughter told me that this was River's first litter. (???) Either way, she's about three years old and has been a really excellent mom to a large litter of 9 kits. So, if it's her first litter, don't despair!! They can be good moms later in life. :)

Katiebear-I have watched some of those and tried today but couldn't feel anything, seems tricky! Are you able to feel them moving when they get bigger? Like human babies? <br /><br /> -- Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 pm -- <br /><br /> Syberchick70-thanks for the encouragement regarding her age. My 9 yr old is really involved with all of this and I am hoping she won't have to wait too long for success, but I guess it's a good lesson in that there are things we can't control:). I am ad to hear about your sweet doe hope ours is just as good of a momma:)

macksmom98 said:
Katiebear-I have watched some of those and tried today but couldn't feel anything, seems tricky! Are you able to feel them moving when they get bigger? Like human babies?

I had two kindle over the weekend..I could feel the babies kick for the last few days..but mom has to be really relaxed, and you have to be really patent..All my rabbits do the typical afternoon siesta, so they were stretched out on their side, dozing, and I placed my fingers ,lightly , just on the lower belly a few seconds later one was kicking pretty hard. It is very cool... My rabbits are large so it may be different for smaller does.
Most rabbits are Amazing moms...You hear about the bad ones though, Not to many posts of "help my doe is an excellent mom!!!" :lol: Don't stress about it. Then your child will relax and take it all in stride. You will do fine :D
And as long as she builds a nest (in the nest box) pulls fur,has the kits in the nest, and feeds them twice a day (usually dusk and dawn) Then she is a good mom. Now my stellar mom my F.G. will feed her babies three times, so she has pretty fat babies, and they all reach over 5 lbs by 8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back