Is my doe pregnant??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So over the time my doe was loose I seen a few wild rabbits running about here and there... How can I tell she is pregnant other than by waiting for her to start a nest... I have heard of rabbit's wait till they are about to have the babies to build a nest. I really don't want her to be pregnant nobody is going to buy wild babies for anything other than meat and we don't have any room to keep them. :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Homer":2168d21e said:
She's not pg. Your domestic rabbit cannot get pregnant from a wild rabbit in the US.
Not sure what kind of answer this is but last time I checked any domestic doe can get pregnant from a wild she isn't like a pet rabbit can of rabbit this is her[album]3099[/album][album]3099[/album] she is a meat rabbit and her grandfather was a wild and some of her siblings are brown like the wilds we see running about outside

Let me see if I can explain it a little better. Your domestic rabbit is not the same species of rabbit as we have here in the U.S. The domestic rabbit is derived from the Oryctolagus cuniculus, also known as the European Wild Rabbit. The sweet little Eastern Cotton Tail rabbits you see here in the U.S. running around your lawn and any large open or grassy area are known as Sylvilagus floridanus. These two species, though similar in looks cannot reproduce together. It would be different if someones feral rabbit got to your doe.
The "wild" color is actually known as Aguti or Chestnut. It is the dominant color for all wild rabbits. It is also the dominant color for most of our domestic rabbits as well. Which is why we will often see this color pop up in many crosses.

Unless the rabbits running around in the wild there are escaped domestic rabbits it won't happen. While a cotton tail for example might try the embryos will usually die before birth due to the difference in chromosomes. Domestic (European) rabbits have 22 pairs of chromosomes, cottontails have 21

Homer":245q56ub said:
Unless the rabbits running around in the wild there are escaped domestic rabbits it won't happen. While a cotton tail for example might try the embryos will usually die before birth due to the difference in chromosomes. Domestic (European) rabbits have 22 pairs of chromosomes, cottontails have 21
Well my Great uncle set free several that were domestic the ones we own are from wild origins. If you look on her back in between the grey is brown and on our buck he has black the guy we bought them from had several wild does and bucks... These are meat rabbits <br /><br /> -- Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:07 pm -- <br /><br /> Now then if someone could tell me how to check her I would really appreciate it

By wild you mean escaped domestic right? It's not the same thing. The correct term would be feral.

You can't really tell if she's pregnant or not, unless you know how to palpate. Some beginners pick it right up and some long time breeders still struggle with it...

Zass":ffskj1f8 said:
By wild you mean escaped domestic right? It's not the same thing. The correct term would be feral.

You can't really tell if she's pregnant or not, unless you know how to palpate. Some beginners pick it right up and some long time breeders still struggle with it...
Well they really didn't escape he let them loose and they breed with the wilds and had a few babies here and there majority of the babies would die but some survived and occasionally you see a black or differently abled/colored rabbit running around which is crazy seeing as its been like 10-11 years now

The domestic buns that were set loose did not breed with wild rabbits- they bred with each other. The descendants bred with each other, etc. While the ones you see outside now appear "wild", they are actually feral, but still domestic rabbits. The colors you are seeing now are irrelevant this many generations later.

That being said, your doe could be pregnant by one of the feral rabbits. Check the link above for palpating.

Marinea":1aox0fwa said:
The domestic buns that were set loose did not breed with wild rabbits- they bred with each other. The descendants bred with each other, etc. While the ones you see outside now appear "wild", they are actually feral, but still domestic rabbits. The colors you are seeing now are irrelevant this many generations later.

That being said, your doe could be pregnant by one of the feral rabbits. Check the link above for palpating.
Good point... I still don't really understand palpating but I do see know i was being to gentle so i'm going to try later today and again in a few days she has been really moody... more than usual but that could be because she was free and is caged again now :bunnyhop:

If you are not sure about palpating, think back to the first day she got out, count forward 28 days, and give her a nestbox on that date. Leave it in there until 35 days or so after the last day she was free. Just in case.

Marinea":7c7zc7ch said:
If you are not sure about palpating, think back to the first day she got out, count forward 28 days, and give her a nestbox on that date. Leave it in there until 35 days or so after the last day she was free. Just in case.

There was like a whole week she was gone and I figured it up to be anywhere between December 23rd to January 6th

Well, you know the dates, so just have a nestbox in during the right time, and see what happens.

I would also had some big handfuls of hay when you give her the box so she can adjust her nest.

Good luck.

We don't have a nesting box she usually builds a nest back in her box. Sadly we are pretty freaking broke right now I have been looking into them and we are gonna get one before breeding her again this time if she is it's a bid oops and wasn't meant to happen

When I palpate I can only feel the embryos on the 12th, 13th, 14th day after they get pregnant. Its weird but they grow so fast as embryos that after the 15th day they become to big or something and you can't feel them anymore. So after the 14th day its a waste of time for me to palpate. But on around the 27th onward day if I put my hands on either side of the does abdomen, and just sit still, I can feel them moving.

This youtube video might help you palpate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FZM4xpJGk
But if you can't feel anything you should still put something in for a nest box just in case.

Well the 12th,13th,14th day and so on are kinda varied she was out for a week before I caught her she is a mutt rabbit and if i'm not wrong the "wilds" around my house are tames that were set loose and developed and adapted to the surroundings... so i am going to go count the days and get an idea of when to palpate... I don't know if I'm going to be able to or not cause I think I might be getting the flu from my boyfriend I think he has it.. -_- :eek:

Latest posts

Back