is it safe to leave my buck and doe together to breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
So I'm attempting to breed my lionheads I put them in together for about 15 mins in the bucks cage. She ran around a lot. So I put them out in a large pen so she could play "hard to get" and hopefully tire and get in the mood. There getting along well no biting or scratching just a lot of running around. I need to go to a meeting and then go to a friends house for a little bit, 5:00 to 10:00, you think its safe to leave them together while I'm gone so she is with him longer "to get in the mood" and get the breeding done?

I would put her back in her own cage and try again tomorrow. She could decide to go after his family jewels if he gets too bothersome and she isn't receptive right now.

yes and no. depends on your rabbits. You know them best.

there are plenty of people who colony raise without issue, there are plenty of people who've done what you are doing now and have no ZERO issues.

BUT>>>> there are also plenty of people who come home to a castrated buck, or a damaged doe because he got fed up with her.

So it's your decision and knowledge about your rabbits that is key here. :)

They'd probably be fine given their current behavior but you'd have no idea if she's bred. She could play hard to get the entire time you are gone and then you'll have to wait a month to find out. Not worth it. Unless you've been trying for awhile to get them to breed just separate them and try again. Sometimes being exposed to a buck and then taking a break can get a doe in the mood.

There are some rabbits I won't leave the side of the cage while breeding because of the doe and some I leave together for 2 weeks to save cage space. All depends on the rabbits.

Latest posts

Back