Is it ok to breed two different type of angora

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever works for you. All are good to spin, germans and french are closer to each other than french and english in relation to amount of guard hairs.

They're your bunnies; if you like spinning or working with French x German Angora fiber, it's your privilege and your right, so long as they're healthy and otherwise fit bunnies! :D

But...if you're looking to $ell the fiber, that may be difficult. /putting on Spinner hat/

Spinners who have decided, through personal experience or experimentation, which breed of Angora fiber they prefer have worked through four and possibly five breeds: English, French, Satin, Giant (and German). I have English Angora combed top in hand and have French Angora en route to me via the U.S. Postal Service. So I'll soon be "two down, three to go" in the Acquisition phase of my experiment. (Psst: anyone who has 1 ounce of Satin, Giant, or German Angora fiber to sell, please PM me. thx)

If we consider the possible pairwise hybrids of these five varieties (breeds), that adds ten more potential experiments a spinner may need/want to go through to find her/his ideal Angora fiber as far as staple length, diameter of fiber, hand feel, needed twist, etc. If we look only at the ARBA breeds, there are four breeds + six potential pairwise hybrids. I'm not even going to go near color.... :shock:

There are spinners for whom "Variety is the spice of life," but there are also many spinners who, having found *their* fiber, simply want MORE of it--the same stuff, just more, please. :) And for whom four or five experiments are plenty! :D

If you can get yor hands on one, a cross that is typically done is satin x French. I'm not sure how many generations or what work goes into it to get the satin gene out, but many people are trying to get the coat of a satin and the production of a French angora.

DogCatMom":3eu1b93y said:
They're your bunnies; if you like spinning or working with French x German Angora fiber, it's your privilege and your right, so long as they're healthy and otherwise fit bunnies! :D

But...if you're looking to $ell the fiber, that may be difficult. /putting on Spinner hat/

Spinners who have decided, through personal experience or experimentation, which breed of Angora fiber they prefer have worked through four and possibly five breeds: English, French, Satin, Giant (and German). I have English Angora combed top in hand and have French Angora en route to me via the U.S. Postal Service. So I'll soon be "two down, three to go" in the Acquisition phase of my experiment. (Psst: anyone who has 1 ounce of Satin, Giant, or German Angora fiber to sell, please PM me. thx)

If we consider the possible pairwise hybrids of these five varieties (breeds), that adds ten more potential experiments a spinner may need/want to go through to find her/his ideal Angora fiber as far as staple length, diameter of fiber, hand feel, needed twist, etc. If we look only at the ARBA breeds, there are four breeds + six potential pairwise hybrids. I'm not even going to go near color.... :shock:

There are spinners for whom "Variety is the spice of life," but there are also many spinners who, having found *their* fiber, simply want MORE of it--the same stuff, just more, please. :) And for whom four or five experiments are plenty! :D

Yep, pretty much what I was saying on the other thread. I know I don't like English. I prefer French, but German is close, I would not refuse a mix, but some might.

Don't worry about it for now. I didn't have a male, so I had to breed the French to the english Crosses. And then I wound up with two bucks, so I can't breed them back to the new buck. Not sure what I will do, but I also don't know what type of coat they have yet. Atleast the German won't bring down your size like the english would.

What size are your french?

My buck is about 10lbs, the the doe was about the same size. I did not realize how big they were until I got the new doe, and she's only 7.5. She looks like a baby compared to the other.

I crossed an English buck and Satin angora doe. I call the babies 50/50's because they are pedegreed on both sides. They look a bit odd and would not do well at show. They have clean faces and tufts of wool at their ear-tips. They have the silky feel of the Satins with the extra length of the English. I love it wool-wise. Also, I got a Lynx (color) out of the cross that I've not gotten any other way.

I have mixed feelings on mixed breedings lol.

The fact of the matter is, you need to be breeding to a purpose and a standard. Purebreds keep us focused on that fact. There are also a lot of mediocre angoras hanging out. They matt easily, don't produce a lot of fiber, have poor temperaments etc.

That said: I do have some crossbreds here. The most common cross by far in this area is German-Satin. When properly done, 3-4 generations away, you get better length and density and also beautiful hand for the rabbits. I have a couple 12-15% German-Satins, and I have a lot of ARBA purebred satins who actually have German in them. I know where, and how much, most are registerable, (and registered) but IF I know they're there, I do inform people. Now, that said, I have a couple who is nice, but it wreaks havoc with the commercial type. I have very carefully selected rabbits with the best shoulders and rears, along with coats and I am ruthless as to what I keep. I strongly feel satins are as much a meat breed as a fiber breed and should keep that going.

Satin-French, yields you nothing more than more guard hairs. Most of my satins are pretty close to French in the amount of fiber, though it is finer and weighs a bit less. But 2-4Oz of prime is good.

English, depending on what you cross it to, can yield great results IF the English doesn't have a bad cottony coat. A friend just did a specific English cross to introduce a new color, and it's been fun watching their coats come in.

Selling hybrids, can be iffy too. Most people want purebreds period.

Oceanrose":37u7ho87 said:
English, depending on what you cross it to, can yield great results IF the English doesn't have a bad cottony coat. A friend just did a specific English cross to introduce a new color, and it's been fun watching their coats come in.

Selling hybrids, can be iffy too. Most people want purebreds period.

I got the FA/EA cross from CL. They weren't as big as french, had some wool in misc places French don't have, and it was matted and cotton like. Did not like that. At the time I had no FA buck, and I bred the FA to the EA/FA cross. So far, it looks like I got the FA wool and body but the EA size. I was hoping they were going to be does so I could cross them back to the FA, but thy are bucks, not useful to me, so they will probably be harvested them culled. The market here for woolers is low and mostly it's show people.

Back