Is 24" too shallow for Medium-Large rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerfectStormWA

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get standard rex this fall. I'm doing a lot of informational prep and one of the things I wanted to do was price check building a hutch! But before that I was checking out measurements. I took a yard stick in my backyard and found a perfect spot for them, but realized something.

My arms are way shorter than I thought they were... Even just 30" deep and I was having issues!! If it was 30" the rabbits would totally be able to wiggle away from me and since I was hoping to have kits, them being able to escape me that easily makes me a little worried!

Can't exactly fix my arms length, but 24" depth on the hutch would work... Is 24" x 36" enough for a rex? Rex and kits? I know 2' x 3' isn't too too much, I'd only have space for 2-3 of this size hutch in this spot in my yard, but if I make a tractor as well I think that could cover having a small personal rabbitry : D

24" too shallow? Not enough for a big breed? Thank you very much!

Several of the hutches are just over 24" deep by ten feet long. The whole front wall is doors, so I can reach in anywhere.

bighutchbuild1.jpg

The floor plates are all the same size so they can be taken out and replaced as they wear out. They are the width of the wire plus half of the 2"x 2" wood used for the floor plate frames. It ends up being about 25-1/2" deep.

bighutch2.jpg

The doors are the same width as the floor plates so those fit in the front and are held in with little turning knobs. I tried building big feeders between each bunny space to be able to just pour feed in the front, but with our humidity around here, it mildewed before they could eat it all. This picture is the buck hutch, it's separated into six spaces, the do hutch stays pretty much one big space on each level but the does don't fight when they're in groups.

There's some tin roofing between the levels which shifts everything falling from the upper level to the back of the hutch and then it falls behind the hutch. The lower level it just falls through the wire onto the ground. When I need 'bunny berries' to fertilize the garden, it's pretty easy to shovel it out from the back or from under the hutch. There's a lot of folks who will come clean out from under the hutches for me in exchange for a bag or three of bunny manure. Since the hutches are outside and there's about two feet of space if not more, under the hutches, it can go for quite some time before it needs to be cleaned.

Keeping the whole hutch to about 30" deep makes it pretty easy to reach under the hutch when it's time to get the garden fertilizer.

It's pretty dry directly under the hutch so there's not a lot of worms there but behind the hutch where the rain from the roof also falls and it stays much more moist, there's about a zillion worms per shovel full of bunny berries. It's the only fertilizer that's been used on the gardens for years now.

Latest posts

Back