Inulin (found in Jerusalem artichokes)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK-backyardbunnies

Reaction score
I'm still looking at high yeilding, indestructable crops that could form a staple of my rabbits' diet. I was considering Jerusalem artichokes, as they are related to sunflowers and I know sunflower stalks can be fed. Then I wondered about the actual tubers, which led me on to wondering about the effects of inulin on rabbits (that's the stuff that gives "fartichokes" their nickname :roll: )

Anyway, I found this paper talking about the effects on caecal pH. Now, what I can't work out is whether a low caecal pH is a good thing or not?

Any ideas?

I can't answer your question, UKbyb. I sometimes feed Jerusalem artichoke leaves and stems to the rabbits. I have not fed the rabbits the tubers because I have only a small patch and I am letting it increase.

Inulin is also found in the roots of wild chicory (Cichorium intybus). I feed a lot of chicory to my rabbits during the growing season, again mostly the leaves but sometimes the roots as well if I am weeding it out of the vegetable garden. They love the stuff and do well on it.

http://www.prebiotic.ca/inulin.html

Latest posts

Back