Introducing dad and kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxinbowdrxp

Reaction score
My rabbit had 4 bunnies which are 4 weeks old now and I was wondering a good age I could introduce the father to the bunnies

Attachments

• 8A2FB34F-7382-482F-BFD9-7031C881DA45.jpeg
    8A2FB34F-7382-482F-BFD9-7031C881DA45.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3
Is that something you experienced first hand, or cautious speculation?

I never had any issue with bucks and kits, they all were very friendly to them. Rabbits are social animals, until the young ones hit puberty everything was fine.

I would provide something to hide in for the kits though, just in case.

Attachments

• Herr Hase with stray kit 2018.JPG
    Herr Hase with stray kit 2018.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 2
are you looking to have dad breed mom again? if so, four weeks is the probably the earliest you want to introduce them.

Any particular reason you want to put the sire with the offspring? The dad rabbit probably doesn't really care about any of 'his' offspring, he's probably not gonna even figure out that they're his. At this point, mom rabbit is gonna be weaning them and won't really want to have much to do with them, either.

Rabbits seem to have more of a social type of a group than a family type of group. Even then, they're a pretty distanced social type of group. They seem to like their own space if they can get it. But, this is just in general, as individuals, they can do surprising things.

I let my rabbits out together in the yard occasionally (Dad with kits). Usually from 3weeks - 12weeks. I keep a close eye on them. The buck usually gives them a sniff and hops away to rub his chin on stuff. That buck will mount and breed a mature doe in the blink of an eye, but has never tried to mount the fryers.

Back