Interesting ideas on slaughtering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom in Kingman

Reaction score
A few nights ago the TLC channel aired a show "Living For The Acopolypse". Folks that see either hard times or "TEOTWAWKI".(The end of the world as we know it). Anyway, one of those that were featured was a Chiropractor known as "Survival Doc" (even has a web site by that name). He had meat rabbits but with an interesting twist. He had only 8 cages so he would breed them and as they delivered he would then save future breeders and slaughter the older ones, freeze them and move on. Anyone wishing to see it they are supposed to air it again in Sept. 2nd. You will have to check your local listings. The couple in Utah seemed to "have it all together" and the couple in Mesa AZ made some REAL good use of the small area they had. There is another "kinda wierd" couple that I won't even comment on. Watch it if you can.

Sounds interesting... I don't know if I'll be able to catch it, since Shay and I will be out of town (20th anniversary! :bouncy: ).

I figure once I have better meat breeds, I'll keep future breeders from them as needed. I've kept a buck and a doe to breeding, but I want to replace my smallish mutts with some larger bunnies.

Here's another doctor with info on storing meds and such: http://www.survivinghealthy.com/

If I understand you correctly, Tom, he only breeds his does once? Then they are slaughtered to make way for younger breeders? I think he might come to grief doing that. since so many first time does just don't get it right. When I have a really good doe, she's a keeper for as long as she is doing well. Reliability and experience are worth a lot!

If MaggieJ's theory is correct, that he breeds once and replaces his breeders with young rabbits, then isn't he leaving huge gaps in his production? each time he'd replace a breeder he would have to wait 6 months before breeding, another month to kindle, 2-3 months to reach slaughter weight. that's nearly a year between every harvest... sounds silly to me.

The cost of raising a doe to breeding age is greater than the cost of raising a kit to butcher...and you run the risk of a complete loss of your line of rabbits if you got some "new" does who wouldn't breed/mother. If he had 8 cages and was just trying to avoid needing separate growout cages, he is still not thinking it thru--4 does consistently producing and moved out of the kindling cage at weaning would still outproduce his method. Also in TEOWAWKI will he have a freezer? Better to have litters coming along constantly and butcher each dinner right before you cook it. Doesn't make sense to me either...

I have to admit that we started rabbits as a "prep" for possible disaster, whether that be food shortage, hyper inflation, or the complete EOTWAWKI...
it's also always been my goal to be as self sufficient as possible. And, I like rabbit meat.

this guy's method makes no sense though. Maybe he cans the meat? That would make it last for quite a while, but it still wouldn't be as good as just having live rabbits to butcher whenever he wanted.

First, the op must have misunderstood the process. I've watched many rabbit "how-to" videos from this guy on youtube. I've never heard him say anything like what the op is describing.

Second, why, oh why, must TLC do such things? It will cause people to think they can cash-in on this "crazy fad" by upping the price of everything related to prepping cause it's now "in-demand".

Legacy":1ullnxtr said:
First, the op must have misunderstood the process. I've watched many rabbit "how-to" videos from this guy on youtube. I've never heard him say anything like what the op is describing.

Second, why, oh why, must TLC do such things? It will cause people to think they can cash-in on this "crazy fad" by upping the price of everything related to prepping cause it's now "in-demand".

i agree. Prepping is actually a life style choice for my family, and has been for quite some time. My husband is in the military and has witnessed first hand what can happen to a community when the government falls, there is famine, social unrest, and various natural disaster on a very large scale. We just want to be ready in case something bad happens, whether that's for a couple of days or a couple of years.

I think this show is going to cast a bad light on "preppers", just like extreme couponing ruined a lot of things for couponers (stores changing coupon policies being a big one, but also people clearing the shelves of sale items on the first day, as if they really need 50 bottles of mustard)

We are wanna be preppers.... We have the mindset and the want, just not really the money. We are trying to do some things as we can afford it. If nothing ever happens, fine. But if it does, I want to have the resources to know myself and my family will be okay. We have rabbits, granted they are Netherlands, but if worse came to worse, it is still meat. We will be getting Chickens soon(meat and eggs)... and we are now looking into Goats as a possible meat and milk source... Smaller and cheaper than cattle. Also have started stocking up on canned foods and will be learning this winter how to actually can(jar) foods including meat. I am also going to learn how to spin hair(we have chows) and learn how to knit...

The way we are looking at things, the absolute very least that can happen is we save some money and our health by growing our own food(meat, eggs and veggies/fruit), I learn a few new hobbies and we become more self sufficient...

KatzNetherlands - sounds like you're on the right track. The money issue is a big one for us too, just can't seem to find the funds to do everything we want, but that's life isn't it?

it is... but that is part of being innovative... figuring out how to do things without money... it kind of makes it more of a challenge! LOL

Robin":jehxsifp said:
I think this show is going to cast a bad light on "preppers", just like extreme couponing ruined a lot of things for couponers (stores changing coupon policies being a big one, but also people clearing the shelves of sale items on the first day, as if they really need 50 bottles of mustard)

You are right but I bet a know several couponers who sell their mustard stash to preppers, for a small profit of course. LOL :lol:

Latest posts

Back