Inportant question.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am not good at gentics but was wondering if i bought a fox otter (mother was tort and father was a black otter) and bred him to one of my broken blue or broken tort doe is there a chance i could get otters?
Not even sure this is a fox otter.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 357980809_2185048011841326_120575648300915748_n.jpg
    357980809_2185048011841326_120575648300915748_n.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
i am not good at gentics but was wondering if i bought a fox otter (mother was tort and father was a black otter) and bred him to one of my broken blue or broken tort doe is there a chance i could get otters?
Not even sure this is a fox otter.
Thanks.
A fox is a torted otter <at_B_C_D_ee> or in the case of the rabbit in your post, probably a blue fox <at_B_C_ddee>. Torts are selfs, but when the tort alleles are present in an otter, it's called fox (so, calling it a "fox otter" is kind of redundant). A normal otter does not have the non-extension <ee> alleles that make tort.

Since otter <at_> is dominant to self <aa>, and both blue and tort are self colors, there is a very good chance you'll get otters with the broken blue; you'll only get foxes from the tort, since all the babies will get the non-extension <e> from both sire and dam. You'd probably also get blacks, blues and torts, because the rabbit is an otter <at> that also carries an allele for self <a> from his mother.

So blue fox <ataB_C_ddee> x broken blue <aaB_C_ddEe> would give you blue foxes, self blues <aaB_C_ddE_> and blue torts <aaB_C_ddee>, with roughly half of the litter being broken colored.

Blue fox <ataB_C_ddee> x broken tort <aaB_C_D_ee> would give you (black) foxes, blue foxes, (black) torts and blue torts, again about half of them being broken colored.

Last edited:
Back