Information.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avdpas77

Reaction score
For a number of years, I have often picked up rabbits by the "scruff" of the neck like a cat would pick up a kitten.

I don't do it much except when it comes time to process. It seems to be an acceptable way according to the literature, but it causes extensive bruising on the neck/back area and under the skin. I don't really want to do that with my rabbits. Just thought I would pass this along to others that might be unaware.

When I first got mine, I was picking them up that way. That's what the few people I knew who raised them for meat did. I've since stopped. Not because of bruising, but I've found it makes them nervous and results in more scratches. Most of my does prefer to be carried with their head tucked firmly between my arm and torso.

I never did carry them that way, but it was easier to pick them up in the cage till I got them out the door.

I had heard that scruffing them causes damage by separating the skin from the muscle tissue- it is good to have confirmation through processing. Than you.

I pick mine up by grasping the shoulders and pushing down with one hand, and then slide my other hand under their belly. When I lift them, I push the shoulders toward the rump.

That is how I get mine out of the cage. They generally don't stay still for me to pick up with both hands under the shoulders so I grab the scuff of the neck until I get them out of the cage. Afterwards I cradle them in my arms like a football.

mystang89":ujln21vy said:
That is how I get mine out of the cage. They generally don't stay still for me to pick up with both hands under the shoulders so I grab the scuff of the neck until I get them out of the cage. Afterwards I cradle them in my arms like a football.

That's how I do it too, except for the largest bunnies. The biggest ones will let me pick them up by sliding my hand underneath them and lifting. I cover the eyes with my other hand to keep them calm too.

mystang89":3ce9i3pt said:
This is what I do, as well. I haven't noticed bruising.

Miss M":2ht915e5 said:
mystang89":2ht915e5 said:
This is what I do, as well. I haven't noticed bruising.

Some of my rabbits will let me grasp their whole body but some won't, so for the squirmy ones that's what I do too. Likewise, never seen any bruising, either. Are you sure the bruising isn't from slaughter? What method(s) do you use?

I pick my rabbits up just by sliding one hand under them, and the other hand scoops up their hindquarters. I did try to grab the scruff once, when my rabbit was wayy back in his cage, but I couldn't get a good grip.
Like Kyle said, it might be your slaughter method, but maybe it depends on how long you hold them by the scruff? It sounds like if you just pick them up out of their cage, then they don't bruise... but maybe if you hold them by the scruff longer, then you'll bruise them?

Latest posts

Back