I'm Confused About The C gene

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Yep. Very confused about the C gene.

How does cchl work? I can't find out if it's paired with c or C to become visible, or if it can be paired with either. I'm just not sure how one of my rabbits could be carrying that, but not showing, since it's not recessive, and doesn't need 2 of the same gene to show it. If it can be cchlC then that just doesn't fit with how I understand genetics.

I know I had more questions regarding it, but the construction outside distracted me, lol.

C = full color.

cchd is recessive to C ( and i believe this gives the chinchilla coloring.) xan be carried hidden.

cchl is recessive to C ( i believe that gives the himi or cal markings.) can be carried hidden.

c is the absence of color...ie; white. it is recessive to everything in the C gene group and can be carried a long time before showing up. then Both parents must have the c for it to show up.

( there is a Great book ..." the ABCs of Rabbit Colors "... so informative...even i can understand it !!!!)

cchd gives chinchilla colouring, but cchl is actually chinchilla light, and it's a different c for himi/cali markings(ch).

so a rabbit with cchl would have to be either cchl cchl or cchl c to be visible? And cchl is completely recessive? I had read that it was semi dominant.

Which means that one of my buns carries c, which means that Hannah might carry c, and might produce cc when bred back to her sire.

Correct me if I'm just making things up.

chd is chinchilla, chl is sable, ch is himi, and c is rew. A chd chl is a chinchilla. chl is a little more complicated because chl chl is considered seal by most breeds while sable is created using chl ch or chl c. Usually chl ch because the himis show their color so you know you are breeding a black or chocolate based rabbit or whatever whereas c is a mystery being solid white. A himi or cali is ch ch or ch c and the only way to get rew is c c. All can be hidden by having one C full color gene there. You can also do some odd things by having agouti or not with the chd and chl genes since chin is agouti and seal/sable is not. The chin breed actually has 3 shades of chin by combining those genes differently.

Back