If...if you go on vacation, who takes care of your rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
currently I have a friend who sits the buns.

I've had in the past...
  • flakey person who left mid-trip leaving me scrambling. and took my money with her....
  • A vet tech who wanted extra dollars coming in. :)
  • a professional sitter who was also a friend.
  • kids from friends for short away trips
  • but mostly... friends.

If...if you go on vacation, who takes care of your rabbits?
I really think this is a good question for rather you raise rabbits like all of us or also raise chickens ect. We use to go on at least 2 vacations a year to the mountains but now we have rabbits, chickens, ducks, quail, and geese. So now we never get to go anywhere. We dont have family or friends we would trust not to let our rabbits or quail out. 😥 sad but rather stay home then worry i get a call all 35 quail just flew away or two rabbits got away.
But yet I am that neighbor you can call if someone goes out of town that you can trust.

We don't really take vacations anymore but are sometimes gone to shows long enough we need someone else to feed/water the rabbits that stayed home (and let our dogs out). Fortunately for us, two of our three adult children live within five minutes of our farm, so our 28-y-o daughter usually takes over. If it's a close show, however, she usually goes to the show with us and helps get rabbits on and off the show table so I can concentrate on writing down the comments/placements. (Our chickens have large enough feeders/waterers that they're self-sufficient for longer.) Caitlin BOB Rex KSF.jpg

Well, not so much vacations but family matters, emergencies etc.

I pay a teen in my road to do the chores when I'm away, she took over when her sister grew out of it. Bigger family, so there's always someone to help, and they have rabbits too.
Then there is another breeder in my road that I always ask if she can be backup if something goes wrong, and then there's the neighbour that will help if I need it.
Also that old guy that has to give up breeding now would help, but I never was happy with how he kept his rabbits or how he handled them, but he would do ok when it's just feeding and watering for a few days.

It costs me quite an effort to ask for help, but when it's necessary it needs to be done.

I have day activities that gets me off the farm once in a while. The month of December has been margarita/Mexican food Monday. Even that wasn't every Monday. Yoga on some Tuesday mornings. My point is.....I'm always home to feed in the morning and early evening. No one in my family helps me but that's OK. Good luck on finding help. Bunnies can get upset if you aren't there to boo boo baby them.

- I would ask my family but not everyone had this luxury... if I didn't have my family I would be stuck... I would just google to see if I could find a rabbit watcher or something

Interesting that you mention that--I actually have a rabbit watcher who advertises on craigslist near by--I think they board and groom as well, probably angled at house bunnies instead of production rabbits, but they exist!

Latest posts

Back