Ideas for a 10 x 12 colony style rabbit barn?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac_

Reaction score
Ideas for a 10 x 12 colony style rabbit barn? All comments and feedback would be appreciated. I will post the plans on the site when I get them drawn. And a material list.

Right now I'm thinking about having a 2' 6" x 8' long down the center. The door would be in a 10' wall. When you walk in the door, there would be a 3' 6" x 8' pen on your right and left, and a 3' 6" x 9' 6" pen ahead of you turned 90 degrees from the pens on your right and left.

Built on PT 4x6 skids, 2x4 PT floor joists. 1/2 x 1 inch wire mesh in the 3 pens. Plastic deck boards for the walk way.

Maybe the type of rubber mats used in horse stalls in the pens, except for a 1' x 3' 6" potty area at one end of a pen. Based on the behavior of my rabbits now in cages, I would think that the potty area would be away from the exterior walls of the building.

2' tall 1/2 x 1 wire separating the pens from the walkway. A latch on the inside of the mandoor so we could latch the door as soon as we were inside.

At the 4' height over the pens, I'm envisioning a "hay shelf" framed with 2x4s and covered with 2 x 4 fencing. When we cut greens in the summer, we would spread the greens on the fencing for it to dry into hay to be fed in the winter, then pile it up once dry at one end of the shelf. Plywood on one area of the shelf for 5 gallon buckets for pellets, etc.

Solid exterior walls on the 12' walls to 4' for a wind break and shade. With the 10' walls being all fencing (1/2 x 1; covered by heavier 2 x 4 fencing.

Shed roof, possibly with either a double layer of corrugated metal roof panels with an air space in between, or micro-misters that could be hooked to a hose to keep the roof wet when the temps get over 95.

Max. occupancy??? Would this handle 6 does and 2 bucks?

Production: 144 kits per year? 576 lbs of meat? 2304 servings? Feeding a family of 6? (Assuming all kits are fed out in tractors for the last couple weeks.)

Whatcha think? :?:

Instead of a blank air space between metal roof sheets, Stick a layer of tek-foil under one sheet, and also paint roof with radiant barrier paint.
would easily handle the number of adults you PLAN on putting under that roof--

Drying forage for hay use in the winter should NOT be done in the same building if there is a chance of condensation occurring. Remember, moisture is a mold and fungus grower and that equals sick/dead rabbits.

Don't be running water over a metal roof on hot days unless:--1) you have a reliable water supply and 2) you like dealing with rust!

Thanks F R. I don't think condensation will be a problem, especially with the roof being insulated in some manner. I've been using mini-sprinklers on my hen houses for several years with no rust problems. dripworks.com has some very low flow sprinkler heads, so it really does not consume much water to keep the roof wet on very hot days. This lowers the temp in the hen houses about 15 degrees.

Back