I Thought I had a good idea...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
I have a large picnic cooler- kinda beat up, theexternal plastic is split, exposing the insulation..
Ifigure,use it as a compost bin, worm nursery. Okay-- so what is the problem?
IT's TOO SMALL! I fogot how much 'waste' *4 little bunnies* can produce-- And I don't even have bedding-- just the hay and poos that dropped into the trays. On the good side, the stuff got hot real fast- so maybe, things will cook down quickly. Right now, the cooler is in the bedroom with the rabbits- the lid fits nicely- no excessive odor. WHen the temps warm up, I will move it outdoors to the patio. I Do need to get some shavings or cob bedding to absorb that urine, though.
Happy days, I am composting again!!!

Peat moss might be a good idea to absorb the urine, Terry, if it is not too expensive where you are. It really cuts the odour because it is mildly acidic and it composts quickly when mixed with manure.

I can't afford peat right now, but did manage to get a rather expensive bag of cob bedding- that will absorb the urine very nicely. And who told you allabout the peat anyway?

Uh... I don't remember where I learned about it. :shrug: General knowledge that it is acidic and I've used it in floor pens. Works well, but the buns did look kind of dingy from digging in it. It's often been discussed as being good in pans under cages though.

I mentioned I used peat with the ground corn cob several years ago maggie!! There was a huge thread on HT about keeping odors down...! The last apartment I lived in-- but now, a bale of peat would be too conspicuous in the place right now-- come spring,I can keep it by the new garden area, no questions....

MaggieJ":ivbht3id said:
LOL, Terry... maybe I learned about peat moss from you! :D
Very probably- as the thread topic was started by someone who was keeping the rabbits in her kitchen, and really did not enjoy the smell. I had already found the answer, by accident, as I was using the peat mixed with shavings to absorb tne urine better. An Article in a weekly farm newspaper indicatd if one could smell ammonia after applying fertilizer, nitrogen was being lost-- and I wanted to keep my nitrogen!!! When I found the ground corn cob bedding, I stopped using as many shavings in order to help keep the amount of stored nitrogen at higher levels. Alas, I do not recieve credit for my brilliance. But that is okay- many noses are now better off for it....
And it is not the acidity of the peat that is the factor, it is the prevention of gassification of the ammonia. Ammonia is One part Nitrogen, and three parts hydrogen. very easy to break down, very easy to lose.

Sorry to interject chemistry here, but....

I believe technically that it's the decomposition of Urea in to ammonium which then gas (actually I think evaporates) in to ammonia.

Jack, your grasp of the more technically correct chemical reactions would make you a good candidate for the "Living on the Land' group hosted by a fella in South America. Chemistry makes my head hurt, so I try to stay away from the finer points

I've been using wheat bran. $8/50lb bag and heavier than peat so it doesn't cover everything in dust. Should make good compost too.

Frosted Rabbits":1a3x96oy said:
But, but, but-- THAT is FOOD!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was my first thought too--we are a little irrational if we would rather pay more for non-food absorbant material, huh? I think it comes from having been hungry for real in this life. The idea of wasting food makes me hyperventilate. Horrifying! Like it will haunt you when you are hungry! :roll:

eco2pia I think it comes from having been hungry for real in this life. The idea of wasting food makes me hyperventilate. Horrifying! Like it will haunt you when you are hungry! :roll:[/quote said:
It does haunt me----Several of my health issues are because I 'stockile' energy around my waistline.I grew up well aware of the fact "eat it NOW, cuz it won't be there later" andDad was forever harping about "starving children in India" Moving into this apartment has made it worse, as I no longer have a nice, large indoor space to exercise in. And with food at the ready-- welll----

Back