I think they've figured it out!!(drinking from the valve)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumma

Reaction score
I was watching my rabbits out the deck doors last night and was quite surprised to see that one of my does was going to town on the water valve. I had put some water dishes in when I first brought them home and they didn't seem to have any use for the valves, but drank quite happily from the dishes.

I put a little dab of peanut butter on the valve and started to let their water dishes go empty for a while before I would fill it up. I didn't have much hope, I just couldn't seem to get them interested in it. But then just yesterday I caught one using it.

My only concern now is that I want to make sure their getting enough water from it. So I don't want to take the dishes away quite yet. I think I'll just try letting them go dry for a while longer to encourage the use of the valves. My buck doesn't seem to have it figure out yet though. I'm hoping he gets it soon.

Sounds like they are making progress. I think your approach is a good one. In the heat of summer it would be more difficult, but with these cold temperatures, no one is going to get dehydrated in a few hours.

I noticed that the buck isn't emptying his water dish very much either. So I'm not sure if he's drinking from the valve or not but he's eating a lot. I weight them all again this week and he was 5lbs last week and 5lbs 14oz this week. He put on almost a pound in just under a week. So I start to ration him back a little bit. I noticed when I pet him I can't feel his spine anymore. I read that that means he's too fat.

The 2 does(they're sharing a cage at the moment) only gained 5oz. each which seems a little more reasonable. I'm thinking I may put them in separate cages now, that way I can make sure they're both getting enough and how much each of them are eating. I put them together at first because I thought it might help them be a little more comfortable with their new environment. But they both seem quite fine, I can easily pick both of them up and remove them from the cage and hold them(The buck is not as happy about being picked up)

I dont like too feel a rabbits spine when i pet him.I think if i can feel his spine hes too thin.i limit my feed and the only time i feel a rabbits spine if its sick.

Latest posts

Back