I think hes sick?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarax

Reaction score
So my standard rex, Dexter, he has had this once before but around where is stomach is and his head will shake. Aswell as that he will be taking short quick breaths. Ive had him to the vet and they have said they didnt know what was wrong. He weont come out of his cage but randomly he will stick his head out to get my attention and then when i pet him he will kiss me all over. Hes playing normally but i have noticed his stool isnt normal. Usually rabbits have the small droppings but his is kind of sticking together?
Anyone know what it could be? My mom said maybe hes hot but i dont think that would change his stool. Hes usually like this for about 2 days and then the 3rd day hes really sleepy and quiet ( he usually chatters quite a bit)

I don't know what is wrong, but some more information might help. What do you feed him? We need to know all the kinds of things you give him. Is his appetite good or has it dropped off since you noticed he is not feeling well?

I doubt if he is too hot. I know temperatures down your way are often warmer than what we get here, but unless it is very hot, it is unlikely to bother him.

I give him forti diet pro health pellets he eats the same time every day, the same amount. Ill give him a piece of carrot or fresh parsley when we have some ( ran out last week so he hasnt had any). His eating hasnt been affected that ive noticed

Can you get him some grass hay? It often helps sort out digestive problems and will likely help him produce normal stools. Rabbits produce two types of stools... The round dry ones you are used to seeing and soft, moist cecal pellets that they normally consume straight from the anus. I know it sounds gross, but it is an important part of the rabbit's nutrition that allows it to produce nutrients that are not abundant in their feed. Sometimes a rabbit will not eat all these cecal pellets and you will find them in the cage and mistake them for abnormal stools. This may be what is happening, but it is hard to tell for sure. If you will read the article in the link below, you will learn a lot about rabbit digestive processes that will help you to take good care of Dexter.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Latest posts

Back