I need a "winner" recipe!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't done much cooking outside of beef, ham, chicken, etc. I have done a venison roast (yum!), some deer sausage, and also squirrel, but the squirrel was a bit... eh. Not great, but edible. They still had that very distinct flavor to them (which I probably wouldn't mind except it was the same as the smell while butchering them and that is enough to turn me off from them). I have some cooking now that i had soaked in brine so I am hoping that will help (so far the smell is much better!).

Anyway, I have never done rabbit. DH is willing to try it, but said the first recipe better be a winner because it is going to make or break it for him. I saw a bunch online using bacon which would be right up his alley! I really want to make this work because I am getting more and more leery of store bought meat (thankfully our beef is local - sometimes literally from our backyard) and that's the whole reason I got started with rabbits.

Wheels":262jhzm8 said:
http://rabbittalk.com/honey-baked-rabbit-t23251.html - this one is so, so easy and it's divine! No bacon in it though ;)

Well, reading through the replies on that thread it does sound like a good one to start with! Recommendations for sides? Would it be too... weird? funny? to serve it with sweet carrots? :lol:

I am hesitant with the curry, mainly b/c i have never used it much. I think my MIL does a dash of it in her chicken pie so I bet if I go easy with it DH will like it.

Thank you! And if anyone has any others, please do mention them - I am always looking for new things to try!

I do bbq rabbit..I cook it in a slow cooker with salt and water...when tender I pick out bones..shred the meat and mix with our favorite bbq sauce..put back in slow cooker on warm..daughter in law loves it. She wouldn't eat rabbit till she tried this lol

Just this week, I've tried bacon wrapped stuffed rabbit with bacon stuffing as a side I did twice baked potatoes.

I second the honey baked rabbit , I use a similar recipe with multiple variations. You just cant mess it up.

I do recommend wrapping it in foil tho , especially the loin as it can be a bit dry otherwise.

My quick recipe:

cut rabbit into parts

Salt , pepper , garlic & opinion powder

Smother in honey and let it marinate for a few hours.

Optional: Wrap each piece in a couple slices of bacon.

Wrap each piece in foil.

Bake (or grill) @ 325 until done - about an hour , the last ~5 minutes I open the foil & set the oven to low broil to crisp up the bacon.

Finger lickin good.

I've found a little seasoning will get rid of the distinct rabbit flavor. A friend grilled them after seasoning fresh processed rabbits. They were a bit tough but tasted like regular meat. Don't know what was in the rub but it was a mixture of many spices.

Yesterday I cooked stew style rabbit. It was brine 24 hours and simmered for 2 hours in water and a can of condensed Venice vegetable soup, some carrots, and an onion. No rabbit flavor at all.

I've cooked it on the grill, smoked it, roasted it, and fried it. All were great but my hubby really loved when I cooked it like pulled pork. :dinner: Oh yea and used the leftover in quesadillas. Yum!!! Oh and in scrambled eggs :fryegg:
I can't wait for my little ones to get big enough to eat.

Latest posts

Back