I love colorful nestboxes...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
I just had my 1st time mutt/NZ doe give me 13 kits, one runt, ALL different colors--brokens and solids, red, REW, black, agouti, and maybe even blue? That would be a surprise, but I was mostly just counting (and counting and counting!) so I could be wrong about the blue.

Now if I get something really amazing, like an otter, you all have to remind me, I am shooting for broken NZR!! No keeping funky colored rabbits just because they are pretty!! Especially not something that proves the mutt ancestry... :oops:

For the genetics buffs, Mom is agouti, Dad is A___CcD_eeEnen, broken red. I think he has a B_, but no way to know for sure yet, right? If those kits really are black, then that would prove that he was AaB_CcD_eeEnen? And if there is a blue then he would be Dd...Wow. Admittedly not so desirable with all those recessives to weed out, but super fun, puzzle wise.

Waiting on her sister, who is pulling fur as I type! So fun!!

I plan on taking pics on day 3, after both litters are born. I wont forget!! :)<br /><br />__________ Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:15 am __________<br /><br />Ok, The second doe just gave me 8, all REW or broken red, all fat and fed. One runt, with a tooth mark I think. I will probably even them out tonight. That is 21 between the 2 of them, if they all live!

A red, orange, or fawn is black based B. You can have chocolate orange and lilac fawn which are bb based but I don't know what those would look like. I may have some in the future though because I mixed chocolate rex with my creme d'argent that are red based with silver. If yours throw chocolates they would both be Bb but I haven't heard of chocolate NZ or most any other commercial type breed so unless you threw rex in there they should probably both be BB. If you get blue they are both Dd.

akane":3qhjy6fh said:
A red, orange, or fawn is black based B. You can have chocolate orange and lilac fawn which are bb based but I don't know what those would look like. I may have some in the future though because I mixed chocolate rex with my creme d'argent that are red based with silver. If yours throw chocolates they would both be Bb but I haven't heard of chocolate NZ or most any other commercial type breed so unless you threw rex in there they should probably both be BB. If you get blue they are both Dd.

See, that is what I thought about red too, but I was reading somewhere else that you could have chocolate-based red/orange.

But it wasn't a NZ site, so it was probably about a mini fancy breed--their sites have the better color genetic info, because it is so important to showing, but I should be careful translating it to NZ, I haven't ever heard of a chocolate NZ either--except the mutt doe could, and probably does, have MR in her somewhere.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 pm __________<br /><br />Also, while we are on the subject, sort of, does anybody know the difference between dilute (dd) fawn, and full color (DD) red that just has very few rufous modifiers? Is there a difference in nose color or eye circles or something that would definitively tell you the difference? Or is it just a call you have to make as a matter of degree?

I should put that in Genetics...

Now that's alot of popples!!! CONGRATS to you and the momma! :wbounce:

I have pics!

The first is Amber's litter, now reduced to 7, found a stinky dead kit in there. 010 (800x450).jpg

The second is Hazel's litter, not including the chilled runt I found buried in the straw at the front of the nest box. 002 (800x450).jpg

I was warming him in my bra when I was taking the pics. I flipped Hazel after he warmed up and tried to get some food in him, but I doubt it will be enough. He is active, but has clearly already missed a few feedings. I thought Hazel would have a heart-attack on my lap, she was panting so hard. He got a few good sucks in, and eventually got too tired.

I fostered two to Amber, and they are still doing good, but I put them back with their birth litter for this pic.

It looks like REW, broken/solid red, solid agouti, one solid chinchilla(?!) that I thought was originally going to be blue, and the broken black is really a nicely patterned broken agouti. Ah well, I could hope. So the Chinchilla gene must have come from Hazel, which tells me a lot about her parents' genetics--If it is in fact chinchilla (he is in front).

My keeper out of this batch, if there is one, will likely be the broken red on the bottom left from Hazel. Amber is headed down the road, I don't need any more REWs. Also Hazel's type is better, her attitude is better, and her litter was bigger.

Thanks, the ones with blazes are all booted and white fronted too. Amber is a blazed and booted, but Hazel is solid, though obviously carrying the appropriate modifiers for spotted or booted. Love that little red spotted one, I really hope it has a decent type and size.

MaggieJ":pzjkdvlp said:
Congratulations on the big big litter of Crayola Kits!

:mbounce:

Ahem. We will, of course, require pictures when they are furred out a bit. ;)
Crayola kits. Love it!! I'll have to rmember that one. :lol:

Back