I lost 11 today

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggysbabysitter

Reaction score
So it seems Queen Bitchy Bitch is at strike 2 now. Her attitude was fast tracking her to freezer camp, but today she kindled all 11 kits in a damp corner of the shed, not in her box, waited until just a few hours before kindling to pull hair. By the time I saw her at noon they were all dead :(

I sure hope this weekend turns around.

Pulling hair a couple of hours before delivering is not really a problem, some does don't really pull much hair till they actually deliver. I have a doe that does that and she has never lost a kit. If she pulled plenty of hair, using a damp corner of the shed shouldn't have been a big problem either. Rabbits usually have their litters in burrows that are often damp and moist. If the kits were huddled together in the fur, they should have been fine. The weather shows to be about 34F there. Can you give us any other information?g Were they injured in any way?

A burrow is more temp regulated as opposed to above ground so it wasn't just the dampness. 34F is 2 degrees above freezing so if the nest couldn't contain the heat, yes it was too cold for them, especially if it was damp also and they took longer to dry.

I know how you fill i lost a whole litter of 14 plus about 10 more in a weeks time. Things are starting to look better for me. Thing will get better for you to.

I'm so sorry to hear about Queen Bitchy Bitch's litter. I hope she does better if you let her try again. At least you know she can throw a large litter! I can't remember... is she a first-time momma? They often do better second time around.

I'm so sorry! I know how frustrating that can be. I wouldn't necessarily count that as a strike against her just yet, though.

This was her second litter... first one had 8 (with 1 deformity, and 2 kits she caused fatal damage to), but they were kindled in the house and I saw them right away, so I was able to get rid of all the wet stuff. I saw most of them had been strong enough to fill thier bellies, some were very skinny, and all but one had nice color (one was red all over, not bloody, but like it had discolored bruising). Everybunny had good size considering it's a cross between a 10 pound Cal doe, and a 4 pound lionhead (I know, not really a meat breed, but he's all I had at the time... if you think that's odd, Big Bertha is a flemish giant, and he bred her too...).
I know Big Bertha will kindle in the next few weeks (she has been with Thumper since she attacked me, and although she is calmer now she is not so interested in being a snuggly bunny) so I've brought her inside to kindle. This will be Bertha's first time, and I think she might be a little too young for it (she's a July baby), but the mating did calm her occassional agressive tendancies. I had handled Queen Bitchy Bitch and her first litter quite a bit before tending to Bertha, and she did nothing more than smell me. I half expected to jerk my hand away while she was doing it, though.

Latest posts

Back