I feel absolutely awful.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggysbabysitter

Reaction score
I woke up to find Pepper in pain from the umbilical hernia protruding larger than ever, and no massage would help. So I decided to put her out of her misery. It took me 2 hits and 3 tries with the broomstick. I feel awful it took so many tries. And to make it worse, I wasted her. I had to get the kids ready for school without them knowing about the whole mess (they would have wanted to go to the shed to see her, and then they'd bring it up at school... I don't need that right now), and didn't have the guts to skin and dress her before running into the house to feed and dress the boys.
I'm sure 1.5 hours between death and dressing is too long... right?
Thanks for letting me unload...

I'm so sorry... That must have been horrible for both you and Pepper. At least you were able to put her out of her misery.

Hunters often dress game when they get home, after a whole day in the field. In this cool weather, there is no reason to worry about the time lag that I can see.

"I'm sure 1.5 hours between death and dressing is too long... right?"

In the cool weather that is not long at all.

Bless your heart! That's my biggest concern about putting rabbits down--that I wouldn't get it right the first time and the rabbit would suffer.

We use a .22 cal pellet gun with a smallish cage and a forked stick... I know this sounds aweful, but it is easier on us than a stick or hammer. We have a wire cage (for carrying rabbits around at shows usually) that is just barely large enough for the rabbit. Not a lot of room to move around. when we are ready, load the gun, open the top, use the forked stick to gently hold neck in place and gun on the flat part of the skull. Quick and painless. Before using the forked stick the chance of a miss was magnified.

boyd":12abk4gp said:
Quick and painless. Before using the forked stick the chance of a miss was magnified.

That is extremely sensible...and cheaper than buying a pellet pistol...Bopping has been effective for me, but stressful for all concerned. I have been trying to justify a pellet gun for a while. Hmmm...Thanks.

eco2pia":3mufvr08 said:
boyd":3mufvr08 said:
Quick and painless. Before using the forked stick the chance of a miss was magnified.

That is extremely sensible...and cheaper than buying a pellet pistol...Bopping has been effective for me, but stressful for all concerned. I have been trying to justify a pellet gun for a while. Hmmm...Thanks.

:)

We use a spring loaded Chinese manufactured .22 pellet gun that was made in the early 70's... It'll put holes in a quarter so it's as strong as a real .22.... and silent compared to a gun so backyard meat producers can dispatch more dispassionately. I could never do the deed with a hammer or stick/broom handle except the one time we were teaching my son soup to nuts how to do it (kill butcher/process) and he missed the brain :/

Latest posts

Back