I bred my first doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Tom

Reaction score
Well I put my first NZ doe in with my NZ buck last night and all she did was run circles around him and made lots of noise. Poor guy couldn't even begin to keep up with her. So I put my second NZ doe in with him and he mounted her straight away and then fell off. I waited till he got her a second time and put her back in her cage. I tried the second doe again this morning but she wanted none of him today. She was running around him so fast that he kept getting dizzy and would just stop and wobble a bit then start chasing her again. I put her back in her cage after it was clear she was not at all interested in him today. I'm hoping that she is bred and that the first doe will accept the buck soon.

you may also have to hold her for the buck, allow them to run around a little, it is sort of bunny courting, then hold her so he can mount and do his thing.
sooner of latter both of them will catch on to what the other one wants.

MS I did look at the vent color and it didn't look to promising, but I've been looking for a week now and haven't noticed any difference, so I thought "what the heck, give it a shot". I was surprised the second doe settled down and then lifted for him.

CWD":1vjzav1k said:
you may also have to hold her for the buck, allow them to run around a little, it is sort of bunny courting, then hold her so he can mount and do his thing.
sooner of latter both of them will catch on to what the other one wants.
Very true. I have had to this before with so-so results, but at times it is necessary to help them out a bit. :)

Another thing you might try, to see if your doe is ready, is try placing your hand over her lower back, apply pressure, and see how she responds. Usually if my doe is ready she will have a bright red/pink vent and will lift instantly when I place my hand on her back.

Also, here is a great link to some good breeding suggestions:
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-br ... echniques/

Latest posts

Back