I am having a hard time sexing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
I've ALWAYS been good at sexing smaller type critters. Guinea Pigs, rats, mice, gerbils, etc. I used to own a pet store and raised all my own small animals for sale.

I never sold rabbits.

Well, my litter that was born on 2/23 should be able to be sexed by now right? I built a grow out pen.

I tried sexing them. What I *think* was females I left in with mom. What I *think* was boys I put in the other cage. What I was planning on doing was swapping them out so that each set of 4 (yeah right was what I though 50/50 boys and girls?) has 12 hours with mom and 12 hours to stretch, play and eat.

So far all have been eating alfalfa pellets, drinking from the water bottle, and eating the green forage that I gather each day. I, so far, have not had any diarrhea from feeding green fresh food.

If I took photos of the area could you all help me figure out which is boys and which is girls? I have some "reserved" kits already and some want boys and some want girls so I really need to know what I'm selling!

dayna":ry1azb8o said:
I've ALWAYS been good at sexing smaller type critters. Guinea Pigs, rats, mice, gerbils, etc. I used to own a pet store and raised all my own small animals for sale.

I never sold rabbits.

Well, my litter that was born on 2/23 should be able to be sexed by now right? I built a grow out pen.

I tried sexing them. What I *think* was females I left in with mom. What I *think* was boys I put in the other cage. What I was planning on doing was swapping them out so that each set of 4 (yeah right was what I though 50/50 boys and girls?) has 12 hours with mom and 12 hours to stretch, play and eat.

So far all have been eating alfalfa pellets, drinking from the water bottle, and eating the green forage that I gather each day. I, so far, have not had any diarrhea from feeding green fresh food.

If I took photos of the area could you all help me figure out which is boys and which is girls? I have some "reserved" kits already and some want boys and some want girls so I really need to know what I'm selling!

Sure! Pictures and we can sure help sex them for you. :) I still struggle with it, they look so similar when they are wee!!

This is the same rabbit, two different shots. I have in my mind what I think, but I'm curious if I'm right or not. I'll probably need help till I find examples of both male and female.

sexing2.jpg

sexing3.jpg

I don't think you're pushing down hard enough - at least not for me. I always make sure it's completely out, as if it's half-out you can make mistakes. :)

siddsaysgimmie":1gnqmsyg said:
I don't think you're pushing down hard enough - at least not for me. I always make sure it's completely out, as if it's half-out you can make mistakes. :)

this is true, I should have mentioned it as well. the first picture is perfect, a boy no doubt, the second it is not out all the way and could be mistaken if you don't take into account how far away his parts are from the anus.

Yea, you aren't doing it quite right.
put the tail between your pointer and middle finger, pull tail away. With your thumb, press above the vent down.

Latest posts

Back