Hutch moving suggestions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I have mentioned the family that I sold my first baby to twice now. Well more bad luck hit them, and they lost all but two of their rabbits. They turned out not to have the emotional strength need to be a rabbit breeder, and have decided to quit rabbits all together after this. They offered me their last two rabbits, hutch and all, for free. So I have decided to accept their offer, probably keep the big buck for my meat herd, and send the doe off to freezer camp after her litter is born and weaned (they are currently housed in the same half of the hutch). The hutch has 2 holes that are separated by solid wood, and is made mostly out of hard wood. It is a magnificent hutch that just needs some wire and roof repair. Our only problem though is that it is too heavy for me and my fiance to lift, and we don't have a trailer. I don't currently have a picture of the hutch as this is a recent occurrence. The supplies available to us are pallets, his pickup, rope, a dolly, and roughly four or five adult manpower. The hutch itself has a plastic roof that needs a few panels replaced because they are getting fragile, wire on the front and bottom, and roughly 3' legs. We will have to get the hutch over about a 3" step on to a concrete path, through a backyard, and over some tree roots/up hill before we could even reach the truck. Any suggestions on how we could move this thing? Also I'll probably start a different post for the two rabbits later, because I don't know if they are himis or californians. <br /><br /> -- Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:14 am -- <br /><br /> I forgot to mention that I plan to put the rabbits in my play pen and have one of the kids rabbits sit while we try to move this hutch. But this hutch is heavy enough that wherever it gets put down after moving it is it's permanent place

I moved a similar heavy hutch with my dad before. He refused to wait till my friend came to help saying the dolly would be fine as long as we put it on. This wasnt the case, it broke one of the wheels off and one of the legs of the hutch broke too. So dont rely on the dolly.
Your best bet I think would be like moving cables. The ones the guys use when moving a fridge, landry machine and such heavy appliances.
5n28ue.jpg

I know you said you only have ropes, the problem with those is that they can dig in your shoulders making em painful, but if done well they could be used in a similar way.

Anyone around with a small tractor? Forks or a small bucket might be able to get under it and lift it.

Sadly no tractors available.
KimitsuKouseki":2ne3zg70 said:
I know you said you only have ropes, the problem with those is that they can dig in your shoulders making em painful, but if done well they could be used in a similar way.
You think that might work if I were to make like duck tape padding? <br /><br /> -- Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm -- <br /><br /> Well we managed to move it with skillful driving and manpower. Here is the hutch. It needs repair, but has a ton of potential. The pictures go front, side, and back

Attachments

• IMG_20180107_155401.jpg
    IMG_20180107_155401.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 1,668
  • IMG_20180107_154024.jpg
    IMG_20180107_154024.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 1,668
  • IMG_20180107_154008.jpg
    IMG_20180107_154008.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 1,668
Necessity is the mother of creation. Congrats. It was worth it.

Back