Huston, we finally have contact!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
This has been harder than expected :roll: as the new buck wouldn't go near the does if I was near enough to protect him from them but if I backed off he was in danger as two of the three are VERY dominant does indeed so I could only leave him with the junior doe and she didn't want to know.

And even then he only tried once, in a halfhearted way and then gave her ears a good cleaning.

Clean ears are not the object of this excersize. :evil: :lol:

So I wracked my brain on how to get this done, once he "turned on" to the job at hand then he should be able to handle the big girls but until then, blimey, breed like rabbits? Not on my watch.

What I came up with was a redo of one of my big cages, 5 ft by 3 ft, adding smaller wire so they can't get out or hurt themselves trying - 2 by 4 welded wire is not the best size for bunnies - and set on the ground upside down as it has a top but no bottom.

My thinking being that with enough room and no corners to be backed into, they could have at it and not hurt each other and with enough chase and tumble, he might get enough rabbitness to figure out what he is supposed to do.

She did her thing of chase the buck but he turned the tables on that and chased her faster, wasn't she surprised! :lol: But after that I got tired of sitting watching the "Rabbits not bonking" show for over an hour this morning so I gave up and left them to it.

Guess what I saw when I went out to put them both away? Yep, he was doing the buck job! :mrgreen: So I just turned round and came back inside. She didn't lift that I could see but I want him turned on to the job so they can have the rest of the day before going back into their usual cages.

Tomorrow I will put a better bottom on the cage, a proper top as well and he can live in it while the does come to him for a few days each. Then he can go back into his normal quarters until I need to breed them again. A few cycles like that should have him good enough at his job to do it in a normal cage, well, I hope so anyway.

Yippeeeeee, my buck isn't broken! :lol:

Homer":16jimned said:
Good for you GBov! I was starting to wonder about Bucky. :p

Me too, complete physical perfection or not, if a buck won't breed he is just a meal and move on. :walkplank:

Have company coming in this weekend so shall have to back burner the rebuild of that cage but that doesn't mean I have to wait, it can just be a day cage until next month.

Of course, getting them OUT of it is interesting as I have to get in to reach them. :lol: <br /><br /> -- Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm -- <br /><br /> Aaaaaaaaaand doe number two is done!!!

Saw him sort the broken red doe so replaced her with the blue opal who was well surprised her usual method of seeing him off - mount him aggressively - failed to work. He just slipt out of her grip and around and around they went.

It took him until feeding time today but as she put her nose in the food he came up behind and wham, got her! :D

So she went back into one of the cages that have BIG doors - blimey, time for a redo on cage doors, three of my cages have itty bitty stupid doors :evil: - and the broken black senior doe went in with him.

When I left them, she was running slowly away from him while growling and he was just lolloping along behind.

Time to build nest boxes as well as cage door redo's.

Latest posts

Back