How young can you breed a buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
Ssssooo....probably a pretty silly question in the subject line, but basically, yeah.

I brought Wolf and Autumn in to show my mum an armfull of bunnies because armfuls of bunnies are a great way to start the day. When I sent them down on the table, Wolf was quick to try mounting Autumn. It was definitely not a dominance thing. I wound up putting Autumn away 'cause Wolf had his junk all out and was being too ornery to groom with her around.
He's only 14 weeks but was determined and got pretty frustrated with me that I wouldn't let him. XD I thought he was 15 weeks, but that was going by memory :oops: and I actually found his pedigree to check his DOB. He didn't get his balls until 13 weeks, but they're a little bigger and more noticeable now, but not like a full-grown buck of course.
My older doe is 5 month old and I'm too eager for popples! She's super mellow and I doubt she'd turn on him, if scaring a buck for life is the issue with young breeding. Is there any reason I shouldn't give Wolf a shot this young?

I've had a 13 week old mini lop get his mother pregnant :/

I see no reason not to try if you make sure the doe is willing and doesn't turn on him

Welp, I gave them a shot and they got along perfect. Wolf knew just what to do and bred Elvira no less than half a dozen times within ten minutes. :D It was pretty funny though because he's practically half her size. :oops:

I'd try them again two weeks after... In my experience, sometime the buck's desires are more advanced than his fertility... in other words, they start out by shooting blanks. So just give them a second try on the 16th.

Latest posts

Back