How to improve a line through outcrossing.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lidtfedtkanin

Reaction score
I hope I am posting this in the correct part of the forum. I am hoping to get some insight from other breeders. What would you do?

So long story short I have been line breeding a nice line of rexes for a number of generations now. The positives of this line is they have nice coats, pretty balanced heads, large litter size, and are good moms behaviorally. Unfortunately I am consistently struggling to get any of them to their sr weights in a timely manor (and in some cases if at all). This has become a huge stumbling block in trying to show them. So I procured a nice big buck who has huge mass but some faults in his over all balance. How do I move forward? Do I completely remove the old buck from the breeding program in favor of the newer buck or do I bounce between them hoping to obtain a balanced quickly growing large animal? Any insight would be appreciated. I know that adding new unrelated blood isn't necessarily the best thing but I can't seem to correct the incredibly slow grow out rate otherwise.

Many breeders from what I have noticed have gone to only looking at type and nothing else. Bone plays a big factor and regardless of the fine bone many of the "meat" rabbits are supposed to have, I firmly believe good bone goes hand in hand with better growth as thick bones animals can handle the mass more than finer boned animals. I would also consider only looking at type in the top half heaviest animals in the litter. Just my two cents.

Don't get rid of the old buck

First you need to test the new buck to see *if* he passes on good growth to his offspring before breeding him to every doe and possibly loosing ground on conformation and coat quality - HE might be a beef cake but that doesn't necessarily mean his kits will be.

I'd keep using your old buck and breed the new guy to your poorest and best quality does and keep a close eye on the pros and cons of the two litters

Latest posts

Back