how to breed for magpie

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whipple

Reaction score
I love this color! Its not showable in Rex I believe but I'd like to try anyhow. I can easily find harlequins to work with. But how do I get magpie?

take a japanese harlequin coloured bun, add chinchilla and voila you'll get magpie.

DO NOT add castor to the mix you will get VERY ugly bunnies.

Yep, like everyone said, Chinchilla to Japanese. OR you could breed maybe a Magpie Harlequin to Chinchilla Rex and then breed back to get the fur quality?

There are also shaded magpies who have the light gene "cchl" found in siamese sables and sable points, instead of the dark "cchd" which is the chinchilla gene.

These shaded magpies are more of a bone and dark smokey grey colour rather than white and black and grey.

Genetically harlequins are agouti with two japanese harliquin or one harli paired with non extension (AKA fawn with a harli gene) and magpies are agouti, dark shaded with two harliquin genes or a harli paired with a non extension. You must get the non extension into your chinchilla rabbits as well as the harli so breeding to a frosty/ermine (that genetically is agouti, dark shaded and non extension) would be a quicker way to get magpie.

If you can only breed a chinchilla to a harliquin, then in the first generation you should get some chestnut/castor kits who have a harli paired with a full extension (Eej). In non rex it is fairly easy to see the harli gene but I dont know if it will be possible with Rex fur. Some of these kits should carry the chinchilla gene but they may carry himi or REW depending on what the chinchilla parent has.

If you breed these harli carrying kits to each other you may start getting magpies but it may take a few tries.

I have chinchilla, it was one variety I wanted to focused on. But my other two does are castor. What happens if I bred castor to harlequin? Say if I got a harlequin buck.

What happens if I bred castor to harlequin
This is what you get

You will get the same effect in a chinchilla kit who has a full extension and a japanese harlequin gene.

The harlequin gene will cause your castors to have ligher and darker areas and mess up the white on the belly. As long as you do not return ANY kits born from his project to your other colour lines you should be OK.

If you have true breeding Chinchillas who likely have two dark shaded genes you dont need to worry so much about himilayan or REW croping up but it will still take a while to get the non-extension AND harli into them

Attachments

• chestnut harlequin -5days old.jpg
    chestnut harlequin -5days old.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5,867
take a japanese harlequin coloured bun, add chinchilla and voila you'll get magpie.

DO NOT add castor to the mix you will get VERY ugly bunnies.
Hi what's caster please??? New to all this colouring. I'm very interested in it all. I have magpie male (mum and dad chinchilla and agouti female. Will this be ok?? What colours am I likely to get please???

Latest posts

Back