How soon to re breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbits Can get pregnant right after they give birth. However since she lost all of her kids, I would give her a couple of weeks, and maybe take her to the vet to make sure she’s OK

Rabbits Can get pregnant right after they give birth. However since she lost all of her kids, I would give her a couple of weeks, and maybe take her to the vet to make sure she’s OK
Yea we are going on 2 weeks and she still won’t let him mount her. She runs and bites him

Yea we are going on 2 weeks and she still won’t let him mount her. She runs and bites him
Try at different times of day. Also i’m not sure if you are in the northern hemisphere, but rabbits also don’t really like to breed in the summer (even if they are inside) you can also cover your doe’s head with a blanket or towel to calm her down so he can mount her. I have a doe I have to do that with, haha

Try at different times of day. Also i’m not sure if you are in the northern hemisphere, but rabbits also don’t really like to breed in the summer (even if they are inside) you can also cover your doe’s head with a blanket or towel to calm her down so he can mount her. I have a doe I have to do that with, haha
Yup it’s summer for us here in Ohio! I didn’t even think of that!

Just rebreed her. Seriously. sometimes litters die. Sometimes only one or two die. doesn't mean anything is wrong with the doe. If you rebreed her immediately you generally get a larger litter which makes for easier delivery (normally).

I definitly can't say that they don't like to breed in summer, mine always breed like rabbits when I don't want them to, last summer I had 4 accidential litters from 2 does throughout the summer, I really started to question my sanity. In spring my buck lived with the 2 does for 3 weeks, and those litters were 2 weeks apart. In summer his record was about 30 seconds from escaping his hutch to having done the deed.

I would rebreed her soon, I try to be done with the growouts before fresh forage gets scarce.

Yeah waiting too long has been the biggest downfall for past rabbits for me. Especially once they get a lil older.

Heck, I'm currently in the process of culling all of my E Angora and starting with new stock because I fractured a bone in my foot back in November and could not access the bunny barn as easily. All but one of my does couldn't breed again after the 4 month pause and the one that could had only two kits (no deaths) despite having an average 8 kit litter size prior. I couldn't get her to breed again after that. Been trying for months now, that ship has for sure sailed.

Up till then if a doe lost her whole litter, I would breed her back immediately. Never delayed re-breeding beyond 2 months prior, even in the dead of Florida summer.

Latest posts

Back