How should I mark a kit adopted from a different litter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robochelle

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so yesterday was Tassel's (pic 1) due date, and this morning we found not only tassel but also Beanie (pic 2) had kindled. Beanie is technically retired, but she got knocked up by an escapee buck.

Tassel is a first time mom, produced 2 out of the box, and one was trampled before we discovered them. The other has a bruised face but otherwise seems fine (pic 3). Beanie had 7 kits. Considering her lack of experience and little kit's lack of a littermate, I'll be keeping the baby with Beanie (pic 4), and just getting Tassel to supplement their feeding each day. Trouble is, I tried marking Tassel's baby with permanent marker only hours ago and it's already fading.

I can tell the difference now, since the Beanie's babies are all smaller and less fed, but I do want to keep track of which one is Tassel's since it's the only one that's part of my breeding plan.

How can I effectively mark this kit?

Attachments

• 20220521_164437.jpg
    20220521_164437.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220718_194015.jpg
    20220718_194015.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220801_183850.jpg
    20220801_183850.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220801_183815.jpg
    20220801_183815.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I have wondered this too! I didn't know the Sharpe would fade so fast, I was sorta counting on that for my other bonded doe litters 😑 Did you ever find to make the kit?

If you have a tattoo pen you can mark a dot in the ear, otherwise, from what I've heard, you'll need to redo the sharpie everyday and that often times red works better than black.

If you have a tattoo pen you can mark a dot in the ear, otherwise, from what I've heard, you'll need to redo the sharpie everyday and that often times red works better than black. OH, if Tassel is caring for her little one, why not take two dark coloured kits from the other litter and let tassel raise up those three? Means no marking, and less fussing about for you.

Well, one of Beanie's grew in lilac fur and the other (likely)Himalayan kits died, so now I can tell by coloring. I don't have a tattoo pen but I might just get one soon Beanie is such a successful mom that I'll probably breed her when i have important litters on the way so I can put the desired colors with her.

If anyone knows any other methods of marking I'd love to hear them!

I started out giving all 7 to Beanie but it seems she couldn't produce enough milk for that many so I divided them up so that tassels baby was the only Himalayan in Beanie's kindle. We lost some of the underfed but with daily enforced feeding I managed to teach Tassel to feed on her own.
I'm gone for the weekend but my daughter tells me she overfed one and half fed the other on her own, and groomed the half fed when daughter tried to get her to feed it. Grooming was my next project with her so I'm glad she figured it out. Little Himmie is back with her, we'll see how it goes when I return today.

Have you tried nail polish? Try a dab on the nails or when fur grows in a dab on the ear. You can also try the "surgical" markers & mark inside ear.

Latest posts

Back