How old to sell kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can tell gender at birth. in most states in the USA you can't sell until 8 weeks old. in Ontario I start at 6 weeks depending on how the kits are doing. sometimes I don't sell until 10 or 12 weeks. it's all dependant on the how the kits are doing. more Important to sell by readiness than by age

I wait until 8 weeks. Even though most of mine are weaned by 5 or 6 weeks, they still eat their mom's cecotropes and need that for good gut bacteria. They also learn behaviors by watching her. I sell bunnies as pets though, so I'm going for temperament. Even at 8 weeks often the babies are not ready to leave mama and the herd. At 9 or 10 weeks they are almost always sweet and friendly and ready to go to their new home super socialized. That's just my experience tho.

Mine are not socialized, they are livestock, as stated legally they cannot be sold until 8 weeks in the US. To me this seems reasonable. Conveniently it is about the time that I absolutely have to separate boys from girls.

Latest posts

Back