How much water should I expect them to drink?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Worrisome newbie needs advice: :roll:
I've had my first rabbits for a couple of weeks now, and am wondering what is considered to be "normal" water consumption. everything I read says that rabbits drink a lot of water, but when I asked him if they would need water during the long ride home, my supplier said "they'll be okay. They don't drink much".
Well... from they're behavior so far, he was right. But I'm worried that they aren't drinking enough.
What should I consider to be normal water consumption for...
-A pair of Havanas, about 4 months old and 3-1/4lbs. each?
-A Florida White doe, maybe about the same age, and 3-1/2lbs.?
-A Florida White buck, a little over 5 months old, and a little over 5lbs.?
I've been feeding pellets and alfalfa hay. They all seem content and healthy to my inexperienced eye. All are gaining weight. (The Whites faster than the Havanas.) I've started rationing the FW buck's pellets... But, shouldn't they be drinking more than a couple ounces a day?
Thanks! :)

If they're eating well and gaining weight, you should have no worries.

If it makes you feel better, give them a crock of water in addition to the water bottles. They enjoy slurping water from a bowl, but will poop in it, play in it and knock it over. ;)

With our Whites they will drink a little one day, then drink half the bottle the next so it varies, just keep the bottles full and make sure they potty a lot and they should be fine. Does the breeder you purchased them from use the same kind of bottles, crocks, or type you use? If so there shouldn't be a problem. They can go with out water for a short trip, but you want to make sure it is available at all times other than that. Temps will help decide how much they drink also. Syberchick70 about said it all. :)

Depends on the rabbit and depends on the weather. A hot day in summer my champagnes would probably push a full 32oz bottle, at least a 16oz. A cool, shady day with my netherlands might be teaspoons. :lol: It's not directly correlated to weight either. Some have been bred to be more efficient, both food and water, than others and some have been bred to handle extreme temps better than others. Rabbits do not eat their fill if they do not have water so if they are eating a lot and active they are probably fine. If you give them a dish 9 times out of 10 they will drink from the dish just because they like a dish and it may not be a viable longterm option. It won't really prove anything so you know if they are getting enough from the bottles.

Thanks, and good morning.
The breeder had an automatic system. I'm using bottles that I have watched them use. I've also been putting crocks in lately, just to be sure.
I put ice in the crocks yesterday. That got some curiosities going. :D
My well water is pretty hard. We use bottled water for tea and stuff.
Probably ought to be giving it to the bunnies too.
The dogs like the toilet better than their bowl... :?

If you are feeding greens, there is a lot of water in greens. [back when people fed rabbits greens, hay, and root crops, it was the common misconception, that rabbits needed no water , then -just after the turn of the last century [1900], when people started feeding dry feeds, like grain, and hay, it was soon discovered that rabbits do indeed need water]

Also, are you putting ACV in the water? It encourages them to drink more and helps cover any odd tastes in the water.

karebru":2ts9t072 said:
I'm holding off on greens until they're breeding, but I will try the vinegar today... about 1/2 tbs per quart?
Thanks!

2 Tbsp / GALLON
(I'm not sure the extra would hurt them, but better to err on the side of caution)
I use two capfuls/gallon

I had water and food in stainless boles in the original cage and she drank enough water for several months. She established her pee spot infront of the water and occasionally contaminated the water which I would change when I noticed it but she continued to drink water. Eventually I noticed that she was not drinking and tried a plastic bole on the kitchen floor where she often eats. The water drinking resumed but about 5 months later she stopped. I have noticed her hair and an occasional blade of grass in it (which I would replace with fresh water) but fresh water is ignored in both boles. I tried a bottle which she found while it was still in my hand and has increased drinking from it over several days. I tried apple cider vinegar at 1 drop/6 ml in the plastic bole but she just sniffs it and goes to the bottle. She eats about 40 Grams dry extrusion per day and the rest fresh unwilted food (mostly grass) and can choose a comfortable room temperature so not drinking is not dangerous but any idea why she rejects drinking from a bole?

Worrisome newbie needs advice: :roll:
I've had my first rabbits for a couple of weeks now, and am wondering what is considered to be "normal" water consumption. everything I read says that rabbits drink a lot of water, but when I asked him if they would need water during the long ride home, my supplier said "they'll be okay. They don't drink much".
Well... from they're behavior so far, he was right. But I'm worried that they aren't drinking enough.
What should I consider to be normal water consumption for...
-A pair of Havanas, about 4 months old and 3-1/4lbs. each?
-A Florida White doe, maybe about the same age, and 3-1/2lbs.?
-A Florida White buck, a little over 5 months old, and a little over 5lbs.?
I've been feeding pellets and alfalfa hay. They all seem content and healthy to my inexperienced eye. All are gaining weight. (The Whites faster than the Havanas.) I've started rationing the FW buck's pellets... But, shouldn't they be drinking more than a couple ounces a day?
Thanks! :)
What I think, depends on the weather, feed, stress factor.
right now our rabbits drink a lot so we watch the water supply checking three time a day. All of our cages have catch pans below, so that gives us a chance to check urine color and consistency as well as poop. If everything on the back end is running right then the front end of the bunny is running right.

If you are feeding greens, there is a lot of water in greens. [back when people fed rabbits greens, hay, and root crops, it was the common misconception, that rabbits needed no water , then -just after the turn of the last century [1900], when people started feeding dry feeds, like grain, and hay, it was soon discovered that rabbits do indeed need water]
Very true. Same with my dog. When we feed wet food, he drinks almost no water and when we give kibble he drinks constantly.

Latest posts

Back