How much should I charge?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckeesman

Reaction score
I have about 12 cleaned rabbits that I want to sell for meat. The meat is Government inspected and approved and I was thinking of selling the meat for $4.99 per pound? Is this too much to charge for the Southern Ontario Market?

What's the weight of the dressed rabbit? How much did the processor charge to kill and clean them?

You want to be sure you don't price yourself so low that you are losing the cost of the feed to raise them plus the processing fee and something for your labour!

The dressed weight is between 3.5 and 4.5 pounds. The processor charged $4 per rabbit so at $4.99 per pound I will net $10-20 per rabbit less the cost of feed.

A rabbit that dressed out to 4.5 pounds, was probably about 8 pounds live weight. So if the going rate is $2/lb live weight ($16) plus the processing ($4), then about $20 for that rabbit sounds right.

A live rabbit over 6 lbs, is considered a "roaster", not a "fryer" and they don't bring as high a price, although many of the European customers like the larger size. If this is your first sale, I'd start at $4.99/lb or even $5.25 and see what sort of demand you get.

Or you could just price them all at $20/each and not worry about the size difference. Some people like a flat rate better.

I had them processed at L&M Meats near to Bradford. I had a list of ministry approved rabbit processing facilities and after calling many of them near to me (Durham Region) they all told me they no longer processed rabbits but pointed me to L&M. Dropped them off and a few hours later (once the Ontario Meat inspector released the meat) I was on my way. Each rabbit has a Government of Ontario stamp on them to prove it is inspected meat.

Here is a list of OMAFRA licensed plants:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/foo ... s_name.htm

Back