how much Pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniiwicked

BMB-Danii Hardin
Reaction score
Hello i have
Rex
Dutch
Netherland dwarfs
Rex and mixed meat buns

My question is, how much should each breed get on a daily basis? i feed a complete feed brand is blue seal

My Netherlands always have access to pellets, I just fill up their (Not big) food bowls everyday and they don't get over weight

Hello i have
Rex
Dutch
Netherland dwarfs
Rex and mixed meat buns

My question is, how much should each breed get on a daily basis? i feed a complete feed brand is blue seal
Generally the amount of pellets the rabbit will eat in 24 hrs is a good maintenance ration. For my New Zealands it was 1-1/3 cups, for our Satins it tends to be right around a cup, for our Mini Rex it is about 2/3 cup, and for our Polish it is closer to 1/2 cup. To figure it out, feed once a day at the same time each day, and adjust the amount until the feeder is empty and the rabbit is hungry at feeding time, but not stark-raving ravenous. They won't get fat on hay, so you can give them as much hay as they want.

Commercial feed is designed to put weight on rabbits, so just about any breed can get fat on pellets. Meat breeds tend to put on weight very easily - they've been selected to do just that - so the rex might need to be watched more closely. I also find that after about 18-24 months, most rabbits tend to put on extra weight when they're free-fed, even the Polish.

Being overfed and fat isn't good for them, of course; it also interferes with conception and kindling.

To discern whether or not they're fat, feel their shoulders. A fat rabbit will feel loose and flabby there. If they are fat, reduce their ration for a while, but give them plenty of hay so they aren't miserable.

Back