How much Apple Cider Vinegar to give my rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay626

Reaction score
I have 1.5L water dispenser and I'm wondering how much acv to add into the water for my rabbit?

And if anyone knows how much would I add to my cats 1.5L water?

Last edited:
Roughly a cup per gallon then? Not good with the litre thing! Seems like a lot

Hi! I believe I had read to use around 1-2 tablespoons per gallon when I was looking into it. I ended up using 1 tablespoon per gallon for a while last year. I did see a very significant increase in little fruit flies/gnats when the weather was warm, and also little chunks of black sludge forming in my water tubes and reservoir when I was using the ACV (different than normal algae growth), so I don't know if I will continue with it.

I screwed that up, that would come out to 2 cups per gallon of water, am I converting this properly?

Here's my calculations: There are roughly 4 litres in 1 gallon (a litre is almost the same as a quart). So, if we go with US tablespoons (not sure if that was a US or Imperial Tablespoon they suggested), at 6 Tablespoons per litre, you would need 24 Tablespoons or 1 1/2 cups vinegar per gallon. I don't know that rabbits would drink the water with that much acid in it. My rabbits don't seem to like big changes to the flavor of their water, and would sometimes go off the water waiting for it to taste better. I used it in their water bottles once and used amounts more like what @ThunderHill uses. They seemed to do okay with that.

That seems reasonable to me, I will try that and is inline with what I added to chicken water

Hi! I believe I had read to use around 1-2 tablespoons per gallon when I was looking into it. I ended up using 1 tablespoon per gallon for a while last year. I did see a very significant increase in little fruit flies/gnats when the weather was warm, and also little chunks of black sludge forming in my water tubes and reservoir when I was using the ACV (different than normal algae growth), so I don't know if I will continue with it.
Funny! We use apple cider vinegar in our fruit fly traps; it's the best thing we have found to use. Guess it makes sense that it would do the same thing outdoors.

Yes 1-2 tablespoons not cups

Here 1 tablespoon per 2L water. Because that is the size of the waterbottles i use to refill the individual drinkers. Otherwise it would be 1 teaspoon/1L. No problems with rabbits not wanting to drink it, even new ones not used to it.

We don't have much problem with flies no flees. Took a while to figure out the acronym. Why, we don't have issues with the gut. Other than some flies in the manure in the summer..What other benefits would I have. Just curious and generally like to know how I feed and why, thanks

Do you believe that it could help keep misqtoes off the ear n nose. And would it maybe work to keep the bugs off our dogs nose n ears in the summer. Heck I'll take a chug from the bottle every day

I have never heard of this. What is it used for .
It has a catchy acronym, is said to do wonders, and different to other hypes it at least can't do any harm and doesn't cost a fortune. Imho, it does close to nothing. it's just vingar, highly diluted. No harm in trying it if you want to believe. Just don't relay on it to keep stuff like cocci at bay.

The number one thing I have seen it actually do is increase the palatability of the water. In some parts of the country, the water contains many minerals, some of which are not so tasty.

My water is low mineral in my current location, but in my previous location there was a constant scale build up. Running a small amount of cider vinegar in lines and bottles helped prevent that and had the side effect of making the water apparently taste a bit better. Given 2 bottles they would choose the one with ACV, and I felt like they drank more overall with ACV, though I did not measure.

I suspect the main improvement is just drinking more/better hydration, though the probiotic advantage of the mother in a live culture might help too. I found they drank more and the scale was reduced without the mother of course, and I never noticed the probiotic effect making any difference.

Nope. Nicely written, but dosn't stand scrutiny. Minarls? Which would be much,much more concentrated in a piece of apple? Where would that come from? And so on. Doesn't make sense,

The thing about palatability is a thing though, vingar was used in ancent times (one of the most misunderstood parts of the bible, the soldier that gave vingar to jesus actually did a nice thing).
But I prefer to relay on instincts. Giving kids soda pops to get them drink enough is counterproductive. Actually, it's awful.
Plain water is what you drink when you are thirsty. Masking that urge with whatever flavour imho is counterproductive.

Nope. Nicely written, but dosn't stand scrutiny. Minarls? Which would be much,much more concentrated in a piece of apple? Where would that come from? And so on. Doesn't make sense,

The thing about palatability is a thing though, vingar was used in ancent times (one of the most misunderstood parts of the bible, the soldier that gave vingar to jesus actually did a nice thing).
But I prefer to relay on instincts. Giving kids soda pops to get them drink enough is counterproductive. Actually, it's awful.
Plain water is what you drink when you are thirsty. Masking that urge with whatever flavour imho is counterproductive.
https://www.veterinarians.org/apple-cider-vinegar-for-dogs/
Good for people I use brags for all my animals and myself.

Back