How Many Rabbits to Keep Per Breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Mama

Mini Plush Lops Furever
Reaction score
Looking for EVERYONE'S opionion! I am a pet bunny breeder. At the moment we do Mini Lops and Mini Plush Lops. I hope to also get into Lionheads.

I always say the rabbits are pets first, then breeding stock. We aren't going to push them past their limit or over breed. Our kits are quality and hand raised. That being said, I don't want more rabbits than I "need."

I was thinking of 2-3 does and one buck for each breed. Thoughts and questions? Our rabbits sell very well and the waiting list grows daily, so we could easily do 4 does per breed, but that would be overwhelming. I don't want too many to the point where they cost loads to feed and they couldn't all be well loved.

I only have Netherland Dwarfs but I currently have two breeding Does (Might be there, depending on how Pearl does) and three breeding Bucks (Would be four but one has a split penis so he can't breed)
I have about four permanent show rabbits

I am not a pet breeder but my does can have litters of more than 10, and raise them all. I suspect litter size is a big factor. One buck and 3 does is really too many for me. Mine are also large rabbits, who eat a lot. Feed costs are no joke, and grow outs can get spendy.

I want to switch to english angora in a few years, at which point I expect to keep 4-7 adults, but given their grooming needs I will add them slowly until it becomes a pain. In that case I will largely become a pet breeder, and expect that I will not have trouble keeping up with the slower breeding schedule.

Back