How long does kindling take if it is interrupted after first

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
How long does it take for a doe to finish kindling after starting, having one, and being disturbed.

Okay, she had one,(on the wire) and honestly I only noticed because it was squeaking loudly as she was overcleaning it's tail to the point of erosion. It was already a little chilled, so I took it away.

This is her second litter. First one had 3 kits, one cannibalized, one dead in nestbox, one alive. Spud is still alive. :)

So I'm kind of stumped what to do now. I don't want to keep irritating her, I cannot imagine that will help, but since litter 2 hasn't been the charm so far....I don't really want to just leave it up to her.

Oh and this time, she didn't even bother to build a nest. Everything in her nestbox, I put it in there.

Just in case it matters she's an American Chinchilla.

Thank you so much,
Kelly

Kindling can take anywhere from just a few minutes to 24 hours or so, but normally, I would guess, half an hour. I would not hesitate to peek in on her a few times until you are sure she is done. Speak softly as you enter the rabbitry so she knows you're there and will not be startled. You may have to remove the nest box to the house if she hasn't built a good enough nest or pulled fur. You can use dryer lint, teased cotton balls or batting, feathers from a pillow, or even small strips of fleece as a substitute for fur. (Avoid fabrics with threads that might unravel though... They can get wrapped around legs or necks.) If you decide to remove the box, return it to her as early as possible tomorrow morning so she can feed them. If she doesn't hop in one her own, you may have to hold her over the kits so they can start nursing. I've never done this, but other people have said that it helps the doe get the idea and she usually does what is needed after that.

I think it would depend on how comfortable the doe is with you. Most animals, and humans as well, can stop their labor if they feel they are in danger. I would try to leave her alone (or at least make her think so) as much as possible, and peek at her from a distance, or grab a book and sit out there to keep an eye on her. But I would line the cage bottom with bedding so if she has more out of the nest they have some insulation in case you don't find them right away. Putting the baby in the nest for her might give her the idea of where to have them too. If it is really cold, maybe you could fill a cloth bag (old pillowcase?) with some rice or beans and either heat them in the oven or microwave and place the bag under the nest so the solo kit will have some warmth while it waits for it's siblings. They hold heat for quite some time- just don't make it too hot!

For our first time Barn-cat Moms, I find that they seem to enjoy having us there to offer support. But I have never been present for a bunny-birth. I hope everything turns out well. Good luck!

We are "okay" but she gets very defensive and flighty when with kits. I've got the one in a bowl, on a diaper with a rice bag. Seems quiet and calm. I think that's an excellent idea to fill the cage with hay. I can't sit out there, too cold. :) She's right by the door to the house, so I cannot check on her secretly darn it.

Well at least she's nearby and you don't have to trek far in the cold! I would think she would be used to the door opening and closing, so maybe she wont be too bothered by that. Keep us posted!

Yay! Sounds like a nice sized litter! So glad she knew where to put the rest after the initial shock of giving birth to the first.

MamaSheepdog":1d4krb0n said:
Yay! Sounds like a nice sized litter! So glad she knew where to put the rest after the initial shock of giving birth to the first.

Me too. I was hoping for a better second time, since the first litter she had, she had in the box, but killed 2.

Congrats on the new babies! That does sound like a good size litter. I hope they all do well for you and she takes care of them. Post pics when they open their eyes..they look so cute at that age! :)

Just a small note - I like to collect a small amount of fur from each doe's nest, I keep it all together in a ziplock bag, then if a doe has not pulled enough fur, I just add some from the bag. they don't seem to mind that it is someone else's. (Might be of help to someone)

Love the ideas! Our doe just surprised me with one. I was suspicious she might be because Buck has 2 successful fall-offs 31 days ago. However this time I didn’t prepare her a nesting box because no fur has been pulled. I love the idea of dryer lint and saving some fur.

Our doe is very use to me. I get kisses on hands & arms when I open her cage door

Love the ideas! Our doe just surprised me with one. I was suspicious she might be because Buck has 2 successful fall-offs 31 days ago. However this time I didn’t prepare her a nesting box because no fur has been pulled. I love the idea of dryer lint and saving some fur.

Our doe is very use to me. I get kisses on hands & arms when I open her cage door
I also save fur and it has come in handy many times - not only when a doe doesn't pull enough, but also when a doe suddenly decides to use the nest box as a potty, and I have to change out all the nesting material.
However, I've found that it's better to store fur in paper bags. When it's kept in plastic bags, even unsealed, it usually ends up moldy.

Latest posts

Back