How long does it take?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnies50

Reaction score
How long - or what's the average time - for a rabbit to have kits? Or in other words how long are they pregnant for, how long does it take for the kits to be weaned? :)
Lol sorry guys, I'm impatient for my new bunny :roll:

Weaning can naturally happen anything between 4 weeks, and ...well, whenever the doe feels like it. :D (I think my record is held by Mucky, nursing for 13 or 14 weeks.)

Most agree bucklings must be separated by 12 weeks, and some say 8, to prevent them from mating their dams.

Please don't expect to be able to bring your new bunny home before it is at least 8 weeks old.

That means, (approximately) 30 days pregnancy time, plus 8 more weeks until weaning.

Yep you'll have about a 3month wait. Even if they wean early it is not considered responsible to sell kits before 8weeks. Although some breeders do send them to homes at 6 or 7weeks. They have a higher risk for health problems and major digestive issues that can even be life threatening.

:yeahthat:

For your bunny's own good, waiting longer is better.
I also do not believe they become more friendly or more people oriented if weaned early.

I didn't bring Mucky home until she was 10 weeks old, and she's still my sweetest doe ever. :love:

No, it's considered just right.

In my opinion, you cant hurry rabbits. Not really. Have patience. If you want them to do something, anything - communicate that, then step back, give them time to think, and then they do it - or not :lol:

_pokerface__by_nani_fo_sho-d4cpfty.png
Alright, if you say so. *yawn* This is taking a loooong time. \/(O.O)\/

I no longer send rabbits home before 12 weeks, and i won't buy anything younger than 14 weeks.

funnies50":3i8komkn said:
:rant:
:eek:verreaction:

Lol. I totally understand.

I've just had one too many mishaps (myself) and I want to make sure no one else has any. My puppy policy is the same too. No 8 week odds leave the house. I think I'm just getting paranoid in my old age.

funnies50":2ysv5bs5 said:
Ooohh...you start getting it once you turn 20!! :p I don't ever wanna be an adult...
cries.gif

LOL.

30. Definitely 30. The first time your back pops. Then you realize you've become your mother (father). Which in my case, is not a bad thing... she's much more fun than I am.

funnies50, I have two Florida White does that just kindled. Both were bred on June 8. One delivered six kits on July 9, the other delivered seven kits on July 10. I think that's 31 days and 32 days.

I'm sure you know more about this than I do but I put the nestboxes in on day 28, along with a good supply of oat hay. The doe who kindled first started playing with her hay almost immediately. The other doe pretty much ignored it until the day before she kindled.

My understanding is that smaller breeds, like the Florida White, develop a bit more rapidly than the larger breeds. For that reason, I'll start looking to remove the larger kits from each doe beginning about the end of the 4th or 5th week. I'll probably have all the kits weaned by the end of week #6.

Anyway, that's my plan but I'm learning that rabbits can sometimes have their own plans...

Randy

skysthelimit":2zhhgq3y said:
funnies50":2zhhgq3y said:
Ooohh...you start getting it once you turn 20!! :p I don't ever wanna be an adult...
cries.gif

LOL.

30. Definitely 30. The first time your back pops.
Ufff, you might be right. :cry:

rtower":2zhhgq3y said:
My understanding is that smaller breeds, like the Florida White, develop a bit more rapidly than the larger breeds.
Oooh, I see.
50c56b2063ce40ce.gif

Latest posts

Back