How heavy should my kits be?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 10 new Zealand/ Flemish mix kits. They are about 8 weeks old and the largest one is 2.8 lbs and the smallest is 1.7. Are they the normal weight? They are on 18% pellets and get veggies.

how much did the parents weigh?
how much space do they have?
were they all good nursers?

"Normal" weight has a lot of variation from rabbit to rabbit; the weight depends of genetic and environmental factors. With that said, i think the weight of the larger one is a good size, the runt does seem quite small. As long as their proportions don't seem too slender i wouldn't worry.

I found that there was a big difference in weights when I fed my young rabbits a small treat bowl of whole oats every day. It was especially gratifying when a local feed store owner asked for some to sell and his not-too-thrilled employee started picking them up to transfer them from my cage to theirs. He always got the job of cleaning up after any livestock. I saw his eyes widen in shock and he said they felt like little bricks and was impressed with them.

I do not know much since I am a beginner but your weights seem very slim for that mix of breeds. But due to genetics, litter size, feed, & Flemish take a long time to grow out etc... Weights vary. Just for reference I have Satins x (bought as pure but they are not) at 8 weeks they were 1lb3oz,1lb11oz & 1 lb12 oz. Our Pedigree Satins at 8 weeks were 2lbs.10oz, 2lb13oz & 3lb2oz. Our Satin x kits at 15 days are 8.6oz, 8.7oz & 8.8oz
Now our Satin x at just 24 weeks (doe had litter night before are between 5.4oz & 6 lb 2oz. Satins are smaller than NZ & Flemish full grown.

I found that there was a big difference in weights when I fed my young rabbits a small treat bowl of whole oats every day. It was especially gratifying when a local feed store owner asked for some to sell and his not-too-thrilled employee started picking them up to transfer them from my cage to theirs. He always got the job of cleaning up after any livestock. I saw his eyes widen in shock and he said they felt like little bricks and was impressed with them.
Was this after they were weaned and out of mamas space?

Be careful with free feeding oats. One of my kids placed a bowl of oats in with our growouts and the ones that pigged out ended up with runny poop. If I kept if to an 1/16th of a cup per kit per day, they handled it just fine.
I like this video about it.....

Litter size will affect your kits weight. My last litter of Flemish/NZ cross were from 3 lb. 9 oz. to 4 lb. 6 oz. at 8 weeks. It was a litter of 12. These were small compared to my smaller sized litters.
At dispatch, age 12 weeks, 4 lb. 14 oz. to 5 lb. 10 oz.

You might consider giving them small amounts of old fashioned oats and BOSS.

how much did the parents weigh?
how much space do they have?
were they all good nursers?

"Normal" weight has a lot of variation from rabbit to rabbit; the weight depends of genetic and environmental factors. With that said, i think the weight of the larger one is a good size, the runt does seem quite small. As long as their proportions don't seem too slender i wouldn't worry.
Would it be because it was the doe' s first litter? 10 is quite a bit for a first. My other doe had 10 for her first as well, and I'm wondering if the number of kits would still increase with time like if they had an average first litter of about 5 kits.

Last edited:
I just had my first NZ/Flemish mix kits. It amazed me how they were no larger than the Holland Lop kits at first. But they seem to be growing faster than the Holland Lops. She had 5 kits and they are a week old today, and they all have fur and plump little bellies. They are gradually getting a little more active. We haven't lost a single one, so it seems this 8-month-old doe is doing well with her first kits. I am familiar with the oats, but what is BOSS?

I just had my first NZ/Flemish mix kits. It amazed me how they were no larger than the Holland Lop kits at first. But they seem to be growing faster than the Holland Lops. She had 5 kits and they are a week old today, and they all have fur and plump little bellies. They are gradually getting a little more active. We haven't lost a single one, so it seems this 8-month-old doe is doing well with her first kits. I am familiar with the oats, but what is BOSS?
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

Latest posts

Back