How do you make new cage edges clean/smooth?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
Title says it all. What type of snip/shears/wire cutter works best at leaving a smooth edge when making new cages? Is there another technique other than which tool you choose?

I'd hate to spend a lot of time grinding down tail ends after cutting the wire, but I also hate getting raked up on jagged wire protuding everywhere. Thanks,

Joe

My first cages, I got lazy and left them sharp. After lacerating my arms a few times walking past them, I meticulously ground them down.

When I made more..................I cut the wire about half an inch away from the "edge" and used pliers to fold it back so it was flat against itself. No poky edges inside the cage, none for me to cut myself on outside the cage. :)

However I doubt that is the best way possible, so hopefully folk with more experience than I have will reply. :)

Joe, from what I've seen there are either metal or plastic covers that you can put around the doors & entrances to avoid that. I'm probably going to be getting metal ones when I set up my rabbit barn.

You can find them in the Kluberantz catalog on about page 19. The are called door liners or door frames. Fair warning though, it's a fairly large PDF file download! But I love looking through it getting ideas!

http://klubertanz.com/

Hope that helps! :)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":1mqzpvrf said:
My first cages, I got lazy and left them sharp. After lacerating my arms a few times walking past them, I meticulously ground them down.

When I made more..................I cut the wire about half an inch away from the "edge" and used pliers to fold it back so it was flat against itself. No poky edges inside the cage, none for me to cut myself on outside the cage. :)

However I doubt that is the best way possible, so hopefully folk with more experience than I have will reply. :)

I fold/ crimp back the edges, too. It takes time but is effective. Using a grinder can weaken the weld and remove the galvanization.

Diamond":9sxfoiik said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":9sxfoiik said:

I fold/ crimp back the edges, too. It takes time but is effective. Using a grinder can weaken the weld and remove the galvanization.

Do you fold and crimp the edges of your cages or the edges of your doorways? And if its the edges of the cages themselves, how do you get teh j clips to close on a crimped edge?

In my doorways I use edge banding but the edges of my cages are still a bit sharp.

I just posted this on another post. I use electric cutters like these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-s ... 68199.html

Mine came from Nothern Tools and cost twice as much. Mine cuts the wire where I do not even use door guards---Not Smooth but no sharp tits sticking out. I never tried these from HF but they look the same as mine.

I also use these cutters on so many other projects where I need wire or metal cut.

Fire-Man":zuk7f3kp said:

Mine came from Nothern Tools and cost twice as much. Mine cuts the wire where I do not even use door guards---Not Smooth but no sharp tits sticking out. I never tried these from HF but they look the same as mine.

I also use these cutters on so many other projects where I need wire or metal cut.

I'm gonna have to check them out. If things go right, I'll be making another 70-75 cages in a couple of months. My hands feel like they've been beat with a ball-bat after cutting wire all day long.

grumpy.

grumpy":1rsb2gm9 said:
Fire-Man":1rsb2gm9 said:

I'm gonna have to check them out. If things go right, I'll be making another 70-75 cages in a couple of months. My hands feel like they've been beat with a ball-bat after cutting wire all day long.

grumpy.

Grumpy if HF works like mine you will LOVE them. To Cut the wire smooth you want the piece of wire that is going the same direction as the cutters are pointing to be on the bottom of the cross wires, even if it means flipping the wire over. Then put the center cutter blade right beside the bottom wire using it as a guide and tilt the cutter slightly towards the piece you are keeping---pull the triger and go steady. If you try going to fast the cutter cuts so easy you can cut your guide wire very easy.

Back