How do you know about a breeder?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get a third doe. I don't want to wait almost a year to raise another doe from the litters we are currently expecting.

I'm thinking of getting a NZR or something. Something more designed for meat production. How do you check out a breeder? I don't know anybody yet, but there is a 4H livestock meeting on the 9th.<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:10 am __________<br /><br />Bumping this...

When I got Pearl, I really didn't check the breeder out. I didn't know if there were any other breeders in the area, or how to find out. I found a good-looking doe on Craigslist, called the seller, and went out there and bought her. I did look Pearl over first. I looked at her teeth for malocclusion, her feet for cleanliness and sores, checked to make sure she was a doe, her ears for mites, her eyes for brightness and cleanliness, and her fur for cleanliness. The other rabbits looked clean and had balls to play with, though their cages were a bit on the small side and there were many flies about because of the waste hay and rabbit by-products being composted below. Perhaps that would have been best done outside the rabbitry.

But is there some way to check out a breeder before you go there?

In short, no. Not unless you know someone who has personally bought a rabbit from the breeder, and can tell you without being biased about the breeder.

Miss M,
have you ever gone to a rabbit show?
At a rabbit show you will see a vast number and variety of rabbits.
Collect cards from a number of breeders who are working with
the breed of rabbit or rabbits you are most interested in.
Visit their rabbitry and observe how their herd is cared for,
if they allow you into the rabbitry. Some folks do not allow visitor
into the rabbit area. This is mostly out of fear for a possible attack by
A R A's. Once a breeder gets to know you that will not be a problem.
Go with your gut feeling, if you feel secure in dealing with the breeder, go for it!
Should you get a bad feeling about making a deal, DON'T! Go and look elsewhere.
Whatever decision you make is entirely up to you.
Most breeders are very friendly and helpful especially to newbies.
Best of luck and good hunting!
Ottersatin.

Back