How do two white rabbits make a black rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaYares

Reaction score
I've got an white (pink eyed) American doe and a white (pink eyed) American buck.... But out popped a black baby from the burrow this morning. Something in the wood pile?

:shock: :lol: :mrgreen: :roll:

REW covers a multitude of sins...i mean....colors...lol! Any kind of color could be hiding under that white...depending on what is in the background....

Although, are you SURE they are American? I did not know they came in Black....I thought only Blue, White and Red (currently being worked on...)

Maybe they are NZW? or have some NZW in their background?

Rew does cover everything but it's recessive so if bred together it should always produce rew and nothing else. It's the most recessive color out there and can't make any other color without something else contributing to get rid of one rew gene. Do you have more than one buck?

The only other buck that was in the colony was a 12 week old junior. Is it possible he was old enough to breed??

My white American doe has a blue sister, who produces brindle and dark grey kits from the same buck.

Weird.

Yes. I've had 8week olds of smaller breeds get siblings pregnant. The larger breeds usually take a little longer but 12 weeks would not be impossible. That's why I butcher my bucks first because I may not get to the end of that round of litters until they are 12-16weeks and I don't want any random breeding by young bucks.

since it is "impossible" that the REW pairing produced a black rabbit it had to be someone else.

White is a "cover up" type gene. There could be lots of other colors in the genes, but the white cause those genes not to manifest. I have seen blue-eyed white Americans. That being said, if both truly are REW, then, as was mentioned above, the offspring would have both genes and the other colors would never show. That leaves two possibilities:

a)one or both of the whites are not true REW (unlikely)
b) the mailman.

avdpas77":262frtnr said:
White is a "cover up" type gene. There could be lots of other colors in the genes, but the white cause those genes not to manifest. I have seen blue-eyed white Americans. That being said, if both truly are REW, then, as was mentioned above, the offspring would have both genes and the other colors would never show. That leaves two possibilities:

a)one or both of the whites are not true REW (unlikely)
b) the mailman.
:mrgreen:

Red eyed white. It's the closest you can get to an albino. True albinos are lethal in almost all animals but some version of red, ruby, or pink eyed whites exists in nearly all domestic animals that have been bred for long enough. All common rodents have a version and gerbils actually have PEW(pink eyed white) and REW depending which gene combo it is. In rabbits you also have blue eyed white also called the vienna gene.

Americans are also black, but these are not showable. They are often used to improve type or intensity of the blue.

Probably somewhere back an outcrossing was done to strengthen the line and a stray gene was there on both sides. Genetics isn't quite as well understood as many think it is. Surprises will still pop up occasionally no matter how "set" the line is.

Can an albino rabbit with red eyes produce blue eyed rabbits?
Yes, an albino (ruby-eyed white, aka REW) can carry the gene or genes for blue-eyed white (BEW), called the vienna gene. If you breed the REW vienna carrier (VC) with another VC rabbit, you can get blue-eyed rabbits.
The only exception I can think of is two REW parents, which theoretically cannot produce anything but more REWs. Even if they are both VC, the genes for REW trump all others (though their kits will carry it).

REW covers a multitude of sins...i mean....colors...lol! Any kind of color could be hiding under that white...depending on what is in the background....

Although, are you SURE they are American? I did not know they came in Black....I thought only Blue, White and Red (currently being worked on...)

Maybe they are NZW? or have some NZW in their background?
Blue comes from a dilute gene on a different site. Dilute of Black. So it is possible to get black if one parent doesn't have the dilute gene.
There are "modifiers" that effect colors. Which is how we get so many different coat patterns and colors. I've been recently learning about this and it is really interesting

Latest posts

Back