How do I treat fleas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I'm gonna try to keep this short.. I live with my in-laws they can't afford to keep their animals flea treated. Despite my best efforts to keep the fleas down they have finally infested the rabbits. I have premethrine for the floors and walls as soon as I'm over this cold. But what can I put on my two adult rabbits? I've only found two kids of rabbit flea meds, one is be advantage and the other is some natural brand. I wasn't sure if I could dip them or spray them in premethrine or if there's something else I can do? I will also be deep cleaning and spraying their entire cages on premethrine

Rabbits should not have/come in contact with large amounts of premethrines, it has been shown to cause mental issues in the long run, with that said I have use a product with small amounts and have not had an issue. Advantage is going to work the best, you can order it from an Australian website with no prescription (i can get a link in a little bit.) This is what my friend has used on her guinea pigs and rabbits, and it only takes a few days for the fleas to be gone. One drop behind the ears on small/mid size rabbits, and a drop behind the ears and the base of the rump on larger rabbits.

I have in the past and am currently using kitten flea powder for both mites and fleas. I use the brand "Zodiac," though I have had a hell of a time this year keeping it under control, even with weekly treatments and full barn sanitations monthly. It could be user error or an environmental problem, but I am probably going to swap to advantage and see how that works.

Last edited:
Rabbits should not have/come in contact with large amounts of premethrines, it has been shown to cause mental issues in the long run, with that said I have use a product with small amounts and have not had an issue. Advantage is going to work the best, you can order it from an Australian website with no prescription (i can get a link in a little bit.) This is what my friend has used on her guinea pigs and rabbits, and it only takes a few days for the fleas to be gone. One drop behind the ears on small/mid size rabbits, and a drop behind the ears and the base of the rump on larger rabbits.

I have in the past and am currently using kitten flea powder for both mites and fleas. I use the brand "Zodiac," though I have had a hell of a time this year keeping it under control, even with weekly treatments and full barn sanitations monthly. It could be user error or an environmental problem, but I am probably going to swap to advantage and see how that works.
Are you talking about joespetmeds.com? And would I be using the small cat flea and tick solution? Or do I need to get the kind specific to rabbits and other small animals? I remember it having a cat on it as well but it came from a different website

Have you looked at "wondercide"? It's a natural spray that isn't AS good as the chemical (yes, everything is a chemical) sprays but not as dangerous, they have a few different ones and they are safe for cats (which are a LOT more sensitive than dogs so I'm thinking probably ok for rabbits too). You could maybe DE dust the rabbits and then spray down their cages and areas with the wondercide.

There are also flea traps you can buy, but they are simply an incandescent light bulb (the old style with the wires inside) pointing down onto sticky paper like fly paper. The fleas go towards the light and heat (why you need incandescent, LED and Fluorescent don't produce the heat) and get stuck to the paper. I would put that in the other corner from the rabbits. Basically make it really unpleasant with the rabbits (wondercide and DE) and put a trap on the other side of the room to make them go over that way.

Ideally, put the trap near the door that the fleas are coming in through so that maybe new ones won't get all the way over there.

You can also spray the other animals in the house with the wondercide to help keep the general flea level down.

Are you talking about joespetmeds.com? And would I be using the small cat flea and tick solution? Or do I need to get the kind specific to rabbits and other small animals? I remember it having a cat on it as well but it came from a different website
Sorry it took so long to reply, I was busy and wanted to make sure i got all the facts strait. Here the link to the site Pet Shed - Pet Supplies at Discount Prices! and this is the link to the exact one Revolution Flea Control for Dogs & Cats. Save $$$ on Revolution at Pet Shed

My friend gets the dog/cat one in the largest weight, it’s the best bang for your buck and the ingredients/potency are no different than the lighter weight ones. She applies it no more than once a month, it is what her vet recommended (thank God for livestock vets.) She uses it on her rabbits, guinea pigs, dog and chickens.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was busy and wanted to make sure i got all the facts strait. Here the link to the site Pet Shed - Pet Supplies at Discount Prices! and this is the link to the exact one Revolution Flea Control for Dogs & Cats. Save $$$ on Revolution at Pet Shed

My friend gets the dog/cat one in the largest weight, it’s the best bang for your buck and the ingredients/potency are no different than the lighter weight ones. She applies it no more than once a month, it is what her vet recommended (thank God for livestock vets.) She uses it on her rabbits, guinea pigs, dog and chickens.
So technically I could just use the same stuff on the rabbits as the cats? I use the pet armor and already have a ton of it

And do I use the full bottle like I would on the cats? It's for the 9lbs + but I have 2 silver fox

Me personally I use diatomaceous earth with great success. I've used it before when I noticed some ticks and fleas, and within the week normally every bug is gone. I'm personally a bit scared to use cat/dog flea treatments on my buns because of the neural issues that could happen. I Just get a big bag of it from TSC and keep it with my feed. I also haven't had any issues with bugs near my feed since I started storing them together.
I live in FL where the bugs are insane, and my cages are outside (just so you know where I'm coming from).

Me personally I use diatomaceous earth with great success. I've used it before when I noticed some ticks and fleas, and within the week normally every bug is gone. I'm personally a bit scared to use cat/dog flea treatments on my buns because of the neural issues that could happen. I Just get a big bag of it from TSC and keep it with my feed. I also haven't had any issues with bugs near my feed since I started storing them together.
I live in FL where the bugs are insane, and my cages are outside (just so you know where I'm coming from).
I've tried DE before and with the infestation we have here due to my inlaws not dealing with their animals it doesn't work. I've had to go to using chemicals just to keep them managed.

I've tried DE before and with the infestation we have here due to my inlaws not dealing with their animals it doesn't work. I've had to go to using chemicals just to keep them managed.
I'm so sorry they're not doing what needs to be done for the health of your buns. Was just giving my 2cents based off my experiences in the area I'm in. Hope you and your buns are doing well now.

Thanks for the useful info.

Welcome to RabbitTalk!

Back