How do I make a brine?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Blue

Reaction score
First butcher today. She's a doe we decided not to keep as a breeder. After we butcher, I want to keep her in brine in the fridgef or a day or 2. What is the proper salt/water ratio? And do I add anything else?

We usually just put about a handful of salt, for a large bowl (or a bag when we freeze them.) for a 3 pound rabbit or I don’t think it really matters if you put to much salt because, it’s to take out gamey tastes.(<- correct me if I’m wrong.) so just put a little more then you think you should lol.

First butcher today. She's a doe we decided not to keep as a breeder. After we butcher, I want to keep her in brine in the fridgef or a day or 2. What is the proper salt/water ratio? And do I add anything else?
We usually just put about a handful of salt, for a large bowl (or a bag when we freeze them.) for a 3 pound rabbit or I don’t think it really matters if you put to much salt because, it’s to take out gamey tastes.(<- correct me if I’m wrong.) so just put a little more then you think you should lol.
There is a specific ratio of salt to water for a brine, I suggest googling it. If you soak your rabbits in a some salt water after butcher it will draw out any blood left in the carcass. Then you’d want to make your brine, and transfer the rabbits to the brine, in the fridge, for 24hrs or more. I believe I used the kitchn.com brine recipe for my turkey last year, and it turned excellent.

I found the ratio online, 1tbsp per cup. Its been soaking for 48 hours and still feels a bit stiff. Can I go another day? Will it come out of rigor by tomorrow?

An important step is to let he carcass rest for 24 hours before doing anything. It is best to hang but laying flat can work too. The 24 hour rest is to the the enzymes of rigor mortis to dissipate and let the meat relax. Parting and brining without the rest may result in tough meat.

Last edited:
An important step is to let he carcass rest for 24 hours before doing anything. It is best to hand but laying flat can work too. The 24 hour rest is to the the enzymes of rigor mortis to dissipate and let the meat relax. Parting and brining without the rest may result in tough meat.
My understanding was brining was part of the resting phase. I put her in the brine right away, today is day 3, I'm about to check to see if she's loosened up a bit. Kinda wanted to smoke it today before the rain. My "brine" in only salt water, nothing else.

It is best to hang the carcass at room temp for 24 hours. Do a quick rinse in salt water to sanitize a little. You can do colder temperature if you feel better. 70 F is still cold enough that bacteria growth is not phenomenal. The brine will kill off all but lactobacters anyway. Brining will allow those lactobaacters to thrive so long brining time can give you a sour taste to the meat.

After 3 days of brining, how did it turn out?

It is best to hang the carcass at room temp for 24 hours. Do a quick rinse in salt water to sanitize a little. You can do colder temperature if you feel better. 70 F is still cold enough that bacteria growth is not phenomenal. The brine will kill off all but lactobacters anyway. Brining will allow those lactobaacters to thrive so long brining time can give you a sour taste to the meat.

After 3 days of brining, how did it turn out?
Well, it was an older rabbit, soaked in salt water for 3 days and I finally smoked her in mesquite today and wow, mind blowing good!!! First time I've ever had rabbit. Way better than I expected. Texture and taste and moisture levels were phenomenal. I'm so excited now!!

Latest posts

Back